nothing; 9

"let me guess, did your dad say "how i could i say no to little simon" and he gave you the loan?" josh asks as soon as he watches a beaming simon make his way through the restaurant entrance.

"what—" the blue-eyed boy gasps mockingly while putting a hand to his chest. "how did you guess?"

"oh i don't know, the fact that you're smiling like an ugly cheshire cat?" the older boy rolls his eyes.

"welp, you guessed right." the latter boy passes him a sweet smile, sighing in relief. "i was worried he was gonna disagree at first but then he was like anything for his son!"

"you always were the spoilt brat." this earns a whack to the bearded man's shoulder. "i'm surprised he didn't ask what it was for."

"oh, he did." simon says, remembering how he had lied through his teeth and made a stupid excuse about going on vacation or some shit. he himself hadn't believed how gullible his father was.

"i bet you lied through it."

"oh, you know me so well." the tall boy blows a kiss in his friend's direction who was obviously upset about the fact that he was hiding something from him. "don't worry, josh. i'm not gonna do something stupid with this money."

"i find that hard to believe." josh replies before sliding off the cashier counter and leaving for the kitchen, expecting simon to take over his shift.

"i'm not charity." jj's words ring throughout the brightly coloured cafe as he watches simon's happy expression seem to fade. the blue eyed boy had offered his help to the younger boy, but for some reason jj wasn't keen.

"i never said you were." simon argues, feeling defeated because of how his plan turned out.

"yeah but it seems that way." the dark skinned boy counters and simon resists  the urge to reach forward and whack the boy across his face because of what he was saying.

"no it doesn't." simon stresses, now folding his arms across his chest and leaning back on his chair.

he had decided to visit jj and offer him his help, the help he got after persuading his father for an hour and a  half. he wasn't gonna just let it go this easy.

"you're my friend—" jj starts but is interrupted by simon leaning forward and interrupting him.

"exactly! friends help each other and don't call it charity."

"i know but we don't even know if he's pressing charges."

"yet." simon sighs. "i'm offering you this money so charges don't have to be pressed. it's not bail money, we are using this money for the homeless guy's hospital bills."

"i know that and i appreciate it but i can't accept it." it seems as if jj doesn't want to talk further about the topic and so simon sinks in his seat more disappointed than ever.

it's late at night when there is loud knocking on jj's front door, the young boy not paying much attention since his family was quite "adventurous" and this could just be a drunk friend of his dad or something.