Prologue

1 day before D-day....

Oh my God! It's tomorrow! It is finally happening. I think I can't breathe. After seven long years, after 2557 days (considering two leap years), I am going to see him. I think I'm gonna die out of anticipation.

My mind was right now an array of questions and speculations. How will he look! He must have grown up. He was nineteen, the last time I saw him. He would have turned into a man now!

But along with these giddy speculations, were some scary thoughts too. What if ...what if he doesn't recognize me? I mean..I did change in seven years. Arrgghh!

I tried to calm down and stabilize my heartbeat as I lay on the couch of my living room, staring at the ceiling, mentally preparing myself to welcome the most awaited, most craved day of my life. It is tomorrow! The never ending waiting...the antagonizing years are finally coming to an end. Calm down Amara! You can't afford a heart failure at this point of time!

My reverie was finally broken by the main door bell. I reluctantly got up, tired from my mental imbalance and headed towards my door to find Sarthak, standing on the other side, in his patent rugged jeans and T-shirt, but what stood out was the brown bag in his hand, four green bottles peeking out from the edge.

I roll my eyes at his predictability. "C'mon Sarthak...I told you I was fine when we talked over phone an hour ago. You didn't have to do this!" I huffed at his stubbornness but opened the door wide anyway, for him to enter.

He smiled sheepishly at my breakdown and entered my house as usual, as if he owns the place. "And I... told you not to overthink about tomorrow. Since you don't listen to me, why should I?" he shrugged giving me a knowing smile. Ughh! He knows me so well!

"You are so infuriating.." I sighed dramatically and extracted two bottles from the brown bag, offering him one. Although I won't say it loud, I am glad he is here.

I reinstated myself on the couch and he came to sit beside me. I took a huge gulp of the drink before laying my head on his shoulder.

"Wanna talk about it?" he asked softly as if scared of me breaking down. His question makes me snort.

"Do you ever get tired of talking, Sarthak! Since 7 years, all we have done is talk about it. This very morning we talked about it. And yet again...you wanna talk?" I snapped at him but there was a teasing hint in my tone that I knew will not offend him. He simply smiled at my breakdown.

"As I always say..talking is the best therapy" he remarked matter-of-factually.

"Of course, You will say that. You are going to be an official Psychologist in six months" I rolled my eyes. "You are my therapist since seven years".

"Ya..but right now...I'm not asking this as your doctor. I'm asking as your best friend" I turned my head towards him to find his clear eyes staring at me with softness and sincerity. I sighed and laid my head once again on his shoulder.

"What can I say, Sarthak! That I'm nervous but excited, scared but happy, anticipating the day but avoiding it too. I am all those things, and I don't know how to cope up" I felt tears welling up in my eyes. Shit! Shit! I must not cry...

"I understand, Am. Hell, I am nervous for you. You have every right to be. Seven years is a really long time" he takes a swig of beer in between the talking.

"But what if he doesn't recognize me, Sarthak?" I jumped suddenly facing him completely, tears finally escaping my eyes. "What if..what if all these years have made him realize that I'm not good enough for him...or worse..he had found someone else!" I was terrified by the last thought.

"Hey..hey..hey! Calm Down" he held my face between his palms to make me look at him. "Listen to me! I have never met him before so I can't be sure about him, but one thing I can say about you...No one can ever forget you once they get to know you" he emphasised his words to make me believe him. "And as for the fear that he may have found someone else, I think the chances are low considering the place he is at right now. So stop worrying. Okay?"

I lifted my head to look into his eyes. Sarthak is right. I should not let such thoughts invade my mind. Tomorrow is the most important day of my life and I should be happy about it. I nod slightly and a slow smile breaks on his face.

"Let's finish the drink then and go to sleep" he nudged my shoulder and finished his drink. "We have a big day tomorrow".

I looked down at the silver charm bracelet on my right wrist, a half heart dangling from its edge. Big day indeed!