Chapter - 22

He didn't come...

It was my final task towards winning the competition at the winter carnival, but he didn't show up. All my earlier confidence melted away as the realization of his absence hit me. I know it was a petty thing to do, but I withdrew my name from the competition. I could not perform when he is not in front of me. But where is he?

Earlier, when we returned from Roman house, he parted by saying that he needed to talk to his father about his moving out. He was supposed to finish up his moving by two and meet me directly at the carnival. It was four now but he...was not here.

Sanjana chastised me for backing out of the contest but the contest was something I was least bothered about. With every passing hour, I was getting more and more nervous and agitated. What had happened with his father? Did he agree? Did he shout on Vivaan again? I decided to stop gloating about it and get to know what actually happened. I bid my goodbyes to my friends and left for home.

Fifteen minutes later, I burst in through the doors of my house to find my Dad cooking in the kitchen.

"What? You're back already?" my Dad showed up at the door of the kitchen wearing his favorite green apron. "I thought you said, you would be at the carnival until late evening?"

"I changed my mind" I spoke flatly as I kept my backpack on the couch and changed out of my sneakers and in my flats. "It was boring.....Anyways, I need to go to Vivaan's".

I started moving towards the door but my Dad's voice stopped me.

"I wouldn't go there now if I were you" Dad spoke nonchalantly as he resumed stirring the contents of the pot on the stove. "There had been loud voices from their house since the last hour. I think Ravi is shouting on that poor boy again".

I closed my eyes as his words sunk in. Of course, his father shouted at him. What did we expect? That he'll wave the I-am-an-adult-now-you-cant-control-me-anymore flag in front of his father's eyes and everything will go well?

"Then there is even more reason for me to be there for him, Dad" I spoke determined and my father gave me a pitiful expression. He approached me and tugged my hand to make me sit with him on the couch.

"I have to go Dad" I spoke earnestly, my eyes welling up with tears.

"I know cupcake..Just..listen to me for a minute" he look into my tear-strained eyes and sighed. "I know you love him, sweetheart! You have loved him all your life.." he spoke matter-of-factually that made me smile.

"So..it would unfair of me to stop you from being with him. But...that guy have issues! And it would also be unfair for you if I, being your father, don't tell you where to draw the line. I can't let my only child knowingly go into the dark".

"He is not dark, Dad! In fact, he is the light of my life.." I put enough force in my voice and my father smiled.

"Sometimes, you remind me so much of your mother. Strong..stubborn...determined!" his smile vanished replaced by a sad expression. He misses Mom a lot! "Fine! I won't stop you from going after him! But I would like to give you a piece of advise, sweetheart..Love is a wonderful feeling and it takes guts to love someone with all your might. But, never love someone at the cost of losing yourself or something dear to you more than life..Sometimes love demands sacrifice..sacrifice that you are not willing to make".

Although I was too naive at that point of time to understand the real depth of his words, I nodded my head in understanding. He smiled and kissed me on the forehead.