Chapter - 23

Approx 4 years 2 months before D-day.....

"Then Miss. Rupali asked me about the COD test one and I told her all the points mentioned in the test in sequential order. I told her that sample is refluxed with known amount of excess dichromate in presence of acid and AgSO4 catalyst is used for oxidation of low molecular weight fatty acids. But then she asked me to correlate the procedure with COD test two and I told her that Ferroin indicator gives a sharp change to brown color on complete reduction of dichromate..." Sourav continued his rambling about his stupid question answer debacle with our chemistry professor, but I was least bothered about what he was saying, my whole attention drawn towards a giggling Sanjana as Sarthak teasingly nuzzled her ears with his nose. Seriously!

After their movie date, they went out a few times more, before coming out to the world as a couple. At least this time, Sarthak had the decency to tell me about it before he asked Sanjana to be his girlfriend..At first I felt like I had swallowed something bitter, but then I got over my insecurities and accepted the fact that my best friend...was not mine anymore!

In these past few months, I had tried very hard to like Sanjana, but in moments like this, her giggling like a sick love-struck teenager and her rambling about love-exchanges with my best friend as if I die to hear about her love debacles,I hated her. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for my friend but..she is...so dumb sometimes. Seriously! What does he sees in her? Or is it only because of the things he can see on her? Ugh..

"You aren't listening to me..Isn't it?" my reverie was broken by Sourav's accusatory statement and I turned towards him with a sheepish smile.

"Of..Of course, I am listening to you" my voice wavered, outing me to him.

"No..You are busy staring at that obnoxious public display of affection going on beside the cafeteria door" he stated matter-of-factually and I felt my cheeks heating. "It's alright...there is nothing new about it. You always stare when those two are together and all cuddly...be it in classroom, cafe, corridors" he shrugged and turned his attention to his chemistry book.

"I do not stare at them" I spoke in a daring voice but he simply shrugged without raising his head. As if on cue, I lifted my head to find the PDA-couple moving towards our table.

Sarthak perched himself beside me, at his usual spot and nudged my shoulder. "Hey Firebolt..You ate away all my fries!" he spoke accusingly as he lifted one of the few remaining french fries from my tray to his mouth. He slung his arms casually around my shoulders and I felt Sanjana's gaze zeroing on his hand. This is why I subtly jerked it away as soon as it made contact. Gawd! I don't want another Aditi and her possessive dramas!

"I was feeling... hungry" I mumbled unsure of what to say to which Sourav chuckled.

"She wasn't hungry...she was gloating! People tend to eat more when they gloat" he muttered and I kicked him under the table. Sarthak gave us a funny look but to my relief, didn't pay much heat to the matter.

"So guys! Did you hear about the Delhi University Federation's charity dance? It's happening in our college this year" Sanjana squealed excitedly but the color drained from my face. Dance! I loved to dance...However, I haven't danced since...

"Dance! Why would anyone want to dance?" Sarthak made a horror- struck expression.

"Well...as per an Indian thesis, dancing has a lots of benefits" Sourav chirped in, in his patent I-even-know-things-I-am-not-supposed-to-know style. " It benefits our heart, cardiovascular system and increases our lung capacity. Dance aids in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis for men and women.It also elevates our mood by raising our endorphin levels so that...."