Chapter - 1

Approx 7 years before D-day

I struggle my way through the cluster of students, milling at the corridors of my new school. It had been three weeks since the judgement day, three weeks since my fate for next 7 years was sealed, three weeks since I came to Delhi to start my 'new' life.

Although my Aunt Leena was giddy with excitement about me starting at DPS International School, for me, it was just another day to pass on until the time comes... 2535 days to be exact.

I followed my aunt like a zombie as she made her way to the office to collect my books and schedule.

"Hurry up Amy! You can't be late for your class" she chastised as her feet continued moving. Seriously, this woman never stops.

I reluctantly followed her, already tired from all the walking we did. My new school was a good twenty minutes walk from my 'new' home (my aunt's home), but according to Aunt Leena, distances that require less than half an hour should always be walked. She was that kind of person.

After a further fifteen minutes of shuffling at the school office for my books and a ten minutes of roaming around to find my class, Aunt Leena finally dropped me off with a peck on the cheek.

"I know, excitement is not what you feel right now, sweetie" she caressed my cheek, concern evident in her eyes. "But you are young and smart and life is too short to be wasted like this. So listen to me...and live a little".

I stared at her, words unable to form in my mouth. Finally, I gave a brief nod, may be just to clear her face of the concerned expression. She beamed at my slight acknowledgement.

"That's like my Kiddo" she ruffled my hair subtly. "Now go in and start a new phase of your life". With that, she turned and left the corridor.

I stood there watching her retreating back, her words ringing in my ears. Life is too short to waste like this. Is it so? Then why does it suddenly seems so long to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The class was almost full and the teacher had arrived as I entered my classroom. Our English teacher was a petite lady with a grim expression on her face. She waved her hand disinterestedly, permitting me to enter and I shuffled quickly to sit at the nearest available chair.

I did not want to draw attention, specially on the very first day of my school. I have decided that the very secure way to survive the next seven years was to draw least attention from the outside world and let time do it's job i.e. pass.

I withdrew my brand new eleventh grade English textbook from my backpack and started solving the first exercise of the book, even before the teacher asked us to. From her expression, it didn't seem she cared what the students were doing anyways. I just wanted this period to get over so that I can move on to the next. And then the next. Until the day gets over..until my school gets over...until seven years get over..until...

"Hey! Are we supposed to do that exercise?" my reverie was broken by a throaty voice, coming from the left side. I jerked my head towards it to find a guy with long hair smiling at me. "I'm sorry I missed what the teacher last said. Did she ask to do this exercise?"

His voice was deep, too deep for a seventeen year old. I kept staring at him and realized that it was rude when he raised an eyebrow for my reaction.

"Umm..No!" I replied finally finding my voice. "She didn't ask to do this exercise".

For whatever reason, his smile grew at my reply. He smirked and turned in his chair, so that he was completely facing me. I slightly retreated at his gesture that he didn't seem to notice.

"Ohh! So you are one of those students" his smirk grew.

"What students?"

"Those who finish all the assignments before they are asked to, who prepare for all tests and exams beforehand, whose mark sheet never sees the face of a B."

"You are very perceptive" I smile my sarcastic smile. Jeez! Judgmental much! This guy had known me for five minutes and he is already categorizing me.

"Hey! Don't get offended. I was just trying to make conversation" he looked genuinely guilty. "Actually I am also new at this school" he smiled. I have noticed that smile comes to this guy very easily. He was a happy person. Unlike me.

"Also? How do you know that I am new to this school" I raised an eyebrow.

"Lucky guess!" he shrugged.

"As I said, perceptive" I rolled my eyes to which he grinned.

"I'm Sarthak, by the way. Sarthak Saraf" he extended his hand in a formal way, introducing himself. I was taken aback by his display of mannerism. I stare at his hand for a complete minute, contemplating the handshake.

Finally, I find my courage and lift my hand for a shaky, awkward handshake, but he didn't seem to mind.

"And you are..?" he raised an eyebrow. Right! My name! Duh!

"Amara..Amara Tripathi" I spoke in a low voice.

"Amara.." he spoke my name as if testing the word on his tongue. "Nice name"

"Thanks" I mumbled.Shit!

What am I doing! Don't you remember Amy! Your self made pact. No guys! No talking to guys for the next seven years. It can create complications. And here you are! Talking to one on the very first day. Before I realize what I have said, the words left my mouth.

"I have a boyfriend" I whisper shout the words at him as if announcing it to him. His eyebrows crunch at first, confusion etched on his face. But then his face sublimes into a knowing look.

"Did I ask?" he smirks at me.

"No..you didn't..it just that...I wanted to be clear" my disoriented words somehow formed a sentence and I shrugged. He looked straight into my eyes for sometime and then abruptly turned in his seat to face the chalkboard.

"Noted" he spoke too softly for anyone to hear, but I heard them anyway.

Is it possible for me to survive seven years without going mad!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------