Chapter - 52

Amara....

As I made myself comfortable on the porch facing Sarthak's backyard, I was hit by a sudden nostalgia from our past. I remembered the moment when I decided to go to USA for my Masters and we sat on this very spot, discussing about how fast our lives were changing.

Never in my dreams could I have imagined that the next time we sit here discussing something like that, our lives would be in such crossroads. The situation of one of us going away may be the same but the circumstances are so different.

The music started fading away and I turned to find the living room almost empty. Although few of our friends were still lounged at the couch playing some stupid Q&A game, Twinkle being at the head of it. I returned my eyes to the gorgeous view of the garden lost in my own thoughts.

"Want a real drink?" a plastic glass suddenly appeared in front of my eyes filled with fruit punch which I knew was spiked from the smell. I lifted my eyes to look at the offerer and Sarthak smiled making himself comfortable beside me.

"Thanks!" I accepted the glass from his hand and took a large gulp, the burning sensation instantly calming my senses.

He sighed and extended his legs to a more comfortable position as he took a sip of his own drink.

It was strange how we were sitting so close and yet not saying anything. The silence was killing me. This must have been the most awkward moment in the history of our friendship.

"So..." I started but he succeeded.

"Where's Vivaan?" he asked instantly unknowingly cutting me off. "Oh sorry! You were saying?" he realized only a second later.

"Oh no no! Nothing important...Vivaan went with Sanjana" I spoke a bit uncomfortably and he raised his eyebrows. " They had this night shoot thing that he wanted to do today...And anyways, Vivaan is not so keen on parties...So he decided to get his work done" I shrugged explaining way too much than required.

"And he left you alone?" he asked accusingly and I was taken aback.

"It's not like that...I told him I will hitch a ride with Twinkle" I unknowingly defended my boyfriend. This is Sarthak, for gods sake!

"Oookay! If you say so..." he shrugged ending the discussion in hand and creating the awkward silence once again. Speak up, Am! Speak up you idiot...Isn't it why you are here! To get your questions answered! 

"So...when are you leaving?" I cleared my throat and started once again. As I lifted my eyes, hoping for an answer, I found him staring at me intently. I suddenly felt exposed under his gaze as if he could see inside me right now. What is wrong with me...He is my best friend...He has looked at me hundred of times before then why does it suddenly seem so....different.

"Umm...I was about to go tomorrow but it's Naina's birthday on Tuesday and she wants me to be there" he replied making me come back to my senses. "She's turning twenty one and wants to go clubbing...So you know....I have you be her chaperon" he rolled his eyes making me smile. "So now...I am going on Thursday".

"Thursday!..You mean in four days?" I widened my eyes at his declaration. So soon...."But isn't it mid-semester? You could have waited till the end of this semester".

"Nope...I couldn't have" he shook his head in resignation and sighed. I felt tears threatening at the edge of my eyes.

"Why?" I whispered hoarsely but I was sure that he heard it. It seems we were now finally gonna address it....

He chuckled at my question and titled his head to stare at me side-eyed. "Really! You are going to ask me this? After our conversation yesterday?"

"What does that have to do with your going away?" I asked embarrassingly since we both already knew the answer to this question. It had everything to do with his going away. I don't know why I asked this! Maybe....I want to hear him say it....