Chapter - 16

Approx 5 years 2 months before D-day...

"You look beautiful" I peeked through my corner eyes while brushing the stubborn tangles of my hair to find him leaning against the door with a charming smile. He was wearing white shirt over black fitted jeans and a charcoal colored blazer and was looking like a male model. Focus Amy!

"You are late" I spoke flatly without acknowledging his presence and continued looking at the mirror. I could hear his low chuckle before I felt two hands grabbing my waist from behind and his nose in the crook of my shoulders.

"Mmm..You smell good too baby! Are you trying to kill me here?" he murmured against my hair and I felt my resolve breaking. How can you stay angry with a guy who talks like this!

I sighed and turned to tangle my arms around his shoulder blades while he held me by my waist. "You know it's really difficult to stay angry when you talk like this!"

"I know" he smirked and I giggled at his cockiness. "But seriously Amy! Why so much effort for a school farewell party?" he looked down at my peacock blue knee-length dress with a white satin ribbon in the middle.

"Come on Vee! It's your higher secondary farewell and just look at you! To stand beside someone like you...the girl had to look at least ..something" I shrugged and he shook his head in amusement. What?

"Oh! You have got it all wrong babe! The only person anyone would be looking at tonight..is you. I will be having a hard time in not getting into a brawl because of you" he sighed dramatically and I giggled.

"You are too adorable when jealous" I kissed him on his cheek when he pouted at my amusement.

"Tell you what! Let's take tonight's farewell party as a trial run" he tightened his hold on me and pulled me flush against his chest. "If it works out okay and my caveman instincts are subdued..we can go to other parties.. but if not..then any other farewell or prom or whatever thing, we will celebrate them alone..just you and me" he raised an eyebrow and bent down to kiss me but I turned my head.

"Oh really! You mean that..two years later..when I have my higher secondary farewell, we will celebrate it alone?"

"Aah..huh!" he nodded his head.

"And what makes you think that you..are going to be my date even after two years?" I smirked and he jerked his hold to pull me even tighter against him.

"Sweetheart...I..and only I am going to be your date for all the future events in your life, whether you like it or not" he spoke with finality and I smiled at his possessiveness.

"Yes you are! I tightened my hold on his shoulders and brought him closer for the kiss I had evaded earlier.

I opened my eyes to find myself standing in front of my mirror, getting ready for yet another farewell but unfortunately, without a date. It was my higher secondary farewell but he was not here to keep his end of the promise. Oh! What will I give to celebrate this day all alone with him!

I looked down at my blue skin-fitted denims and white lacy top. I knew that it was going to look too plain in front of my peers but I didn't care. I was only going to the party because..well..I don't know! May be because I was the only girl on the face of this earth who had managed to shoo away an important person from her life...twice!

I had been miserable and crappy and depressed for the last one month would be the understatement of the century. It was all planned in my head when I stubbornly threw the "we are over" line on my best friend's face. I was supposed to forget about the one year friendship and therapy and move on to more important aspect of my life..to pass on the next 1913 days. However, what I didn't provision was the fact that Sarthak was...he was so..sweet and honest and caring...and that I would miss him..a lot!