Chapter - 45

Amara...

I stretched my arms as I woke up. It's my birthday! As soon as this thought sunk in, my attention shifted to the frame on my bedside table, the one with my father. I lifted the photograph and stared at it for quite some time.

Oh! How much I wish you were here, daddy! All these years have been so difficult without him but today out of all days...I missed him the most. I missed his excitement for this day, I missed the beginning of this day with his kiss on my forehead, I missed his awful choice of presents and I missed our signature chocolate cupcakes.

As a tear slipped out of my eyes, my sorrow met with a sound of commotion in the living room making me frown. Vivaan was not in bed and I could hear a female voice from outside. What is he doing out there?

I got up and sauntered into the living room until I found the messiest but most pleasant surprise in front of my eyes. Vivaan was in the kitchen, wearing my apron trying to mix something with his hands that vaguely looked like a cupcake batter. Some video from youtube was playing on the flat screen where a woman was teaching how to make cupcakes.

Oh, my...He is making cupcakes...for me!

The whole kitchen slab was covered in white flour including his apron and some at his face, but he didn't seem to bother. He was so concentrated in his work that he didn't even notice me until I walked towards him and held him tightly from behind.

"I didn't think it was possible for me to love you any more than I already do" I whispered in his ear and could feel his smile before he turned and held me by my waist.

"Happy birthday, Am!" he whispered back with so much love in his eyes and I immediately felt my legs weakening. "I am so sorry about the mess. I wanted to surprise you with your favorite chocolate cupcakes that your father used to bake on your birthday. It took me one whole week to understand that youtube thingy and I thought it would be fine, but this stupid batter.....I mean it seemed so easy in that video, so I thought...."

I pulled him towards me and kissed him softly, silencing his blabber.

"This is perfect..." I broke our kiss to hug him tightly. "You. Are. Perfect"

"No...YOU are perfect!" he shook his head and held me at arm's length. "I didn't do this to impress you" I raised my eyebrows.

"Well! It was an added benefit" he commented sheepishly making me giggle.

"But...I really wanted to do this for you, Amara! I want to do things for you...I always think I don't deserve you. But I am too selfish to let you go...So from now on...it's my life's mission to make you happy in any way possible" his declaration held so much love that the tears threatening finally spilled out of my eyes.

"Stop! Where is this coming from? You think you don't deserve me! You don't want to let me go!" I scrunched my eyebrows moved as well as disturbed by his chain of thoughts. "After all this, I am the one who doesn't deserve you...and as for letting me go, do you really think after waiting so long, I am gonna let us be apart! Not a chance, mister!"

His broad smile made me smile as well.

"Okay, Maam! Your wish is my command" he bowed doing a mock salute making me laugh.

"But saying all that...you really did make a mess of my kitchen" I frowned dramatically scrutinizing the mess.

"Oops!" he pouted looking cute as ever.

"Well! Amara Tripathi to the rescue" I pushed him aside and started working on that half made batter. "And anyway, I don't want my birthday special cupcakes to be undercooked or burnt".