Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13 

Do you ever get that feeling where you have words at the tip of your tongue but you can't actually find the right words to say it? All morning, my brain has been a jumbled mess. Ideas, inspiration was flowing through but I couldn't get it out. I stared at the blank page of paper before me frustrated.

Music was my way of communicating thoughts and stories but then I couldn't even write it!!

My bedroom door slammed open and Rose barged in. I looked up annoyed and she rolled her eyes at me, "You've been staring at that page all morning, go and do something."

I stared blankly at her and soon her words fell past my ears. The pen in my hand was doodling on the page, drawing flowers and stars and hearts.

I heard Rose leave and soon so was I. I packed up my leather bound journal and pen and made my way upstairs to the music room. I sat at the baby grand piano and ran my fingers over the ivory keys, the silent room welcoming the noise.

I played around on the keys and soon I was forming a pattern, a melody. I et my phone out to record the few melodies I created. I played them back and then edited a bit making sound nicer. I was able to get the melody and harmony down but I just couldn't get the words out. At all.

I was literally stuck.

I had the complete instrumental of the song but no words!

I was actually about to rage quit when I heard someone laugh behind me making me jump. I whip my head to face the one and only bad boy.

Xavier Matthews.

"Stuck?" He asked kindly.

I nodded a bit dumb struck. How he managed to look so attractive without trying, I don't know but it wasn't fair.

Dressed in ripped black jeans, a black Ramones T-shirt with rolled sleeves and black converses he casually strolled over and slid onto the piano seat with me.

"Show me what you got so far," he said quietly.

And so I played him the music I was able to get down and when it finished the room was silent.

"That sounds like a ballad kind of song, I reckon it would be cool just to have a piano and voice for it, so it's stripped back. Maybe two voices at the least," He said and he did know what he was talking about. He did actually know his music, compared to other pop stars out there.

I nodded in agreement, liking the sound of his idea.

He hesitated, I saw him. He hesitated for a moment before asking softly, "What did you want to write the song about?"

Now it was my turn to hesitate, did I want to tell him?

After a minute I said, "Discovering yourself, or discovering someone else for the first time."

He nodded hesitantly again, nervous.

He then stood up and grabbed a sheet of paper off his desk and two markers. Sitting next to me he handed me one and then said, "Brainstorm a list of words in your head, ones you want to communicate."

I took the paper and brainstormed the words 'mask, hidden, uncovered, golden heart, truth...'

Words soon began to flow and the white blank page was covered in words.

And then I was able to piece them together. I took my journal and wrote and wrote lines down, then checking them over to see if they fit the melody. Xavier watched and read what I wrote, pointing some things I could make better out and helping me write the song.