8.2. Invitation to Dinner

With the night having a full moon, and many shapeshifters on the prowl, I decided to hunt a bit earlier. Sunset wasn't an ideal time when heading westward. Daylight still hung on and the chance of someone spotting you feed was likely. While vampires may escape with killing a human for food, proving you're one in court and not some crazed maniac is the hard part. Even if you get cleared of all murder charges in human courts, there's still vampire court to face and they may not be as fair.

My hunting grounds for that evening took place in a sleepy, suburban area. The neighbourhood was quiet enough to move about and drink from someone; however, killing them would put this part of the Metropolis on the front page of every paper in print. So I settled for some family's cat. A few dead squirrels and birds wouldn't cause too much suspicion and was easy to blame on said cat. Ah yes, that was the plan until I saw Tino sitting outside on the front porch to his house.

I was going to pass by and leave him alone at first, but somehow got compelled to help the sobbing kid. Not sure if it was my instincts around hunters, but if it were, I'd kill him right there and in public view of the neighbours. Also, he hadn't reached puberty, so he wasn't a hunter yet. If Carmen were here, she'd comfort him immediately. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea that I drank her blood during our fake out.

"Hey Tino." I approached him as he looked up at me. "Don't tell me they didn't like the idea, did they?"

Tino hung his head again. "I tried telling them, but they don't have time for me. What's even worse is Jovi and Gabi laughed at my idea. They don't get it! It's Hallowe'en and they're dressing up for their party."

"Are Jovi and Gabi your parents?"

"What planet do you come from where you call your parents by their actual names? They're my brother and sister, and they're both older than me. They're also helping out mom and dad that night."

Right, I should've paid attention. Also, hunters train their kids while they're young, especially girls since they can gain their super strength as young as nine. Because of this, Tino's needs were low priority compared to training his siblings.

I sat next to him. "Do you have your costume ready?"

"Do I? I'd like to dress up as a vampire for Hallowe'en, but I don't know what a vampire looks like. I mean, I've heard about them from my family, but they won't let me in on these things until I'm twelve."

That was going to be a challenge. I could've shared information and revealed myself to Tino, but who knew if his parents secretly use him as bait. "You know what? Make your costume based on how you see vampires. You can go old school vampire like that Count Dracula cartoon on the door across the street, or modern like the brooding teenager. Not the sparkly one though."

"What does 'brooding' mean?"

"Brooding means–"

The moment I began my explanation, the door to Tino's house opened and behind us stood his brother, Jovi. "Tino, dinner's ready and we can't say grace without you."

"Now?" The kid whined. "Five more minutes, please?" Jovi said something to him in Spanish and he sighed. "I have to go. Can I come see you tomorrow?"

"I'm not working tomorrow. I'll be at the community centre on Sunday, though."

"We're at church on Sunday, and I have Sunday school."

"Hurry up," Jovi urged his brother. "Whom are you're talking to?"

"Just a friend. I'm coming now," Tino yelled back. He leapt to his feet and went up the steps.

As he headed back into the house, I did something I shouldn't have done. I looked. Somehow I had triggered Jovi's sixth sense. While adult hunters had these things under control, young and inexperienced ones get fired up easily. No clue on how they can sense us or what this "sixth sense" is — stranger danger possibly — but it really got Jovi going. His eyes narrowed as he tucked a lock of dark hair behind his ear. As for me, I sensed something was off about him. Something telling me I should just kill the teen right there. After all, hunters are a threat to vampires, and vampires are a threat to them and those they've sworn to protect.

"What are you doing here?" Jovi asked as he reached for an umbrella and pushed Tino further into the house. It had to be one of those pointy umbrellas.

"I, um, I–"

"That's Lena, she's really nice," Tino explained to him.

Jovi ordered his brother in Spanish along the lines of "get back," or "stay out of this". Poor kid was telling the truth.

"I work at the community centre." My words came out as a squeak.

"Speak up! What are you doing here? Do you work for someone who collects kids?"

He had to assume it's someone who traffics kids. Sexual predators who happen to be women exist, but that's not important now.

I opened my mouth. Then the large purse lady and who I assumed was Tino's sister appeared at the door. Purse Lady, the mom, yelled at him in Spanish to which he argued that he suspected me as a vampire. He did say vampiro at some point. Once they finished yelling at each other, she spoke up, "Excuse my son, he's quite protective of his siblings."

He wasn't the only one. Gabi, who was tall for a teen and sported a frosted pixie cut, held a fork. Right before she could throw it, the mom swiped it from her.

"You were with that woman who helped calmed my Augustino, were you?"

"Yes, I was."

"Again, I thank the two of you for staying with my son. Come and to join us for dinner."

First of all, why was she thanking me when she barely acknowledged me that afternoon? Why the sudden friendliness? Did she sense I was a vampire back then and thought it was some misunderstanding? Hunters in the past have killed humans because they suspected them to be vampires. Familiars were often casualties of that. Then again, they all served the cause and that was to keep their masters alive.

"Thanks, but I can't–"

"I didn't say it had to be tonight," She reiterated.

Great, she was insisting I join. If I said yes, I would be walking into a trap and Carmen, assuming she's invited too, may be a casualty. If I said no, they'd hunt me down and news of hunters in the area is never good. I could Trojan Horse my way in and still draw attention, even with the best clean-up crew. Either way, my first encounter triggered something to lure me. "I'm working tomorrow, I definitely can't–"

"We'll see you Saturday," She said before I could protest that decision. "We'll be expecting you at seven."

"Saturday it is then." I let out a nervous laugh. I was totally fucked.

"Have a good evening." She then said some things in Spanish to her kids and ushered them in.

The instance the door closed I walked casually away from the house and once I was far away, I ran back to the apartment. What the fuck had I gotten myself into?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, what has Lena gotten herself into? Seems a bit extensive to invite someone over to thank them for doing something so simple as watching over a kid. What motives do they have that involve Lena?

Interactive question: What events have you been forced to attend/can't say no to? Did the event turn out better or worse than expected? Apart from being a kid and parents/guardians having to take you (place of worship, dinner/birthday party with that one relative/family friend that you hate) adults too are forced to attend events that we can't say no to.

You know the drill by now :)

edited: 09/05/2020