Episode 3 Bonus: Law and Order: Metropolis Supernatural Unit

This takes places after the events in the opener (3.0)

With James passed out, Max, Carmen and I decide it's a good time to head home. The parking lot is on the other side of a small, wooded area and I volunteered to carry our unconscious friend. Somehow I'm the only one getting whipped by branches but hey, it's not like I have a free hand to push them away. Once we arrive, two individuals approach us and stop us in our tracks.

"Good evening sirs and madams," a woman with tan skin and hazel eyes says while showing us her badge. It's similar to the one used by the Metropolis police department, however there was a hexagram instead of an upside down pentagram beneath the crescent. "Detective Shiri Avital and Officer Rasima Njaim. We're with the Supernaturals unit in the police force."

"Wait a sec," Carmen says with her hands raised, "there's a unit that keeps an eye on supernatural activity?"

"We handle cases concerning Supernaturals as it's quite complex when certain situations occur," the woman, Detective Avital, replies. After she puts her badge away she continues, "Human dies from being a vampire victim, we handle the paperwork for it so the vampire gets a proper sentence. A witch puts a curse on another witch that results in her or his death, we arrest said witch."

Carmen nods as she lowers her hands. "Makes sense."

"Recently our department has received a case regarding a missing vampire--" Detective Avital stops in the middle of her sentence and turns to her partner, Officer Njaim. "You agreed that she was a vampire, didn't you, Ras?"

Officer Njaim nods while tucking a lock of hair underneath her navy blue headscarf. "She looks more like the ghost from The Grudge but I'll go with what Vonner says. Let me see if I brought the photo." She pats down her pockets until she fishes the photograph out of her left breast pocket. "Ah yes, this is her."

Max takes the photograph as Carmen turns on the flashlight on her phone. Once the light shines on it she nods. From what I can discern, the photo was taken in the nineteen twenties from the style of dress Li Meng wore. I remember receiving a cheongsam, I think that's the name for the dress, from my mother. She stayed in Hong Kong during that time and wished I could join her there if not for me being in hiding. But that's not important right now.

Anyway, the three of us focus on the image presented. With James in the way I lay him on the ground to better see it. I agree with Carmen that it looks like Li Meng, but it could easily be someone else. Because of doppelgangers some vampires would have them pose for photographs in the age before digital photography and video cameras. A nifty trick when you need to pass oneself as human and not look like some horror movie monster. I'm sure he has photos of himself together with her to prove her identity even further, but who knows when the House Special's effects will wear off.

"Wasn't she the one who turned to ash when I arrived to rescue you?" Max says for the entire world to hear.

Carmen's eyes pop as she scowls, ready to strangle him. I, however, slap my forehead.

"Did I say something out loud again?"

Max's exclamation catches Avital and Njaim's attention go figure. Avital snatches the photo from his hand. She glances down at James and says, "Li Meng's family has informed us that she was seeing someone. It's him, isn't it?"

Carmen folds her arms, the light from her phone now shining against a tree. "What makes you suspect that?"

"They claim it was an individual who has no legs." She crouches and takes a peek by tugging at James' pant leg. "Prosthetics. No legs indeed."

"I'm sure he's not the only double amputee in the Metropolis." I too crouch but to pick James up.

"Double amputee witches are rare." Avital rises up and circles Njaim. "We believe in order to cast spells one must be connected to the Earth. Without that connection, one can do at best is manipulate spells already in existence."