Rejection is like Death

I smiled as I looked in the mirror with everything for the party down and I was showered and dressed I was ready to enjoy a night to party, even if no one wanted to be there we would all be too drunk to care. It's not like anyone would notice because after tonight I would be gone and hopefully I can find my mate.

"Gem?" My brother knocks on my door before entering, smiling at me lovingly before kissing my forehead and giving me a hug.

"Everything is ready to go, just say when. Now let me get a look at my little sister" He says and I laugh as I back away and twirl around. I was wearing a tool and organza sweet heart neckline off the shoulder teal dress with a pair of black sneaker heels and my hair in a messy side fishtail braid. Most of my bruises were hidden so I could have this luxery of showing off some skin. What finished my outfit off were the designer sunglasses Alex had given me this morning, the beautiful frame perched on top of my head.

"The party is starting soon so why don't you make your way down to the bonfire, I'll finish packing the rest of your stuff, I have mine ready and waiting." My brother says and leads me out of my room, closing my door and leading me down the stairs.

The first thing I could hear was the music as the sounds of the latest songs floated through the halls of the pack house, anxiety slowly crawling it's way to my brain. Ever wolf my age despised me. Every wolf who knew the Alpha and Luna wished I was dead instead. Now I would be partying with everyone and if they attacked me in wolf form I was a gonner.

"I can't do this." I whisper just as we reached the door to the backyard.

"This is your day too. Enjoy it." With that I am pushed out of the door and into the crowd. I could tell that every one here was already in the process of drinking because no one bothered to look at me with hate, instead they just nodded and let me be.

An hour passed and more wolves joined the party of their last night as juvenile wolves. I noticed that only the higher ranked wolves were getting drunk but I was fine with that. It just meant no one would bother fighting to keep me here.

"Attention please." My father's voice boomed over the crowd and everyone stopped what they were doing.

"Our future alpha Mika says he can smell his mate in the crowd." Every female here started whispering excitedly at the prospect of becoming his mate and I smiled, remembering the days Alpha would joke around saying how one day he hoped that I would become the next Luna as Mika's mate.

"Now will all unmated she wolves please line up in front of the bonfire fire. Today we will rejoice the graduates as well as finding the newest Luna." My father cheers and I feel the rush as all the females lined up obediently, not wasting time.

Not wanting to be the one who made everyone wait I quickly join at the end, there was no way I would be his mate so why waste the time of others.

"Not her." I heard his deep voice say and I instantly stood taller, my mind focusing for some reason.

"Next." His voice was closer and I could smell the faint scent of forest mint and the sweet smell of vanilla

More girls were declined as Mika's mate and as he grew nearer I grew more self conciouse, my body humming with excitement.

Then the sparks came as he touched me and we both gasped, our eyes wide as we took in each others scent.

"Mate." I whispered in awe, his hand coming to rest on my cheek and I smiled gently. That is until his face darkened and he stepped away.

"Me, your mate? As if. You're weak and the reason my parents are dead!" He scuffs at my face and then does the worst thing I could think of.

"I, Mikael Alibaster, future Alpha of Hidden Claws rejects you as my mate." His words stabbed into my heart like a million shards of glass as I clutched my chest in pain, a whimper escaping my throat.

Wait! I whimpered? Confusion mixed in with the pain as everyone started to laugh at me being rejected, my eyes filling with unshed tears.

"You're weak Geminie, you can't even shift into a wolf." Mika sneers before slapping me across the face, feeling like he was burning me with his touch and I screamed.

"Anything you want to say to me?" He asks and I shook my head, not wanting to give up on him.

But that was a mistake as I felt my hair being pulled and I was face to face with my father as rage seeped out of his pores.

"Say it you bïtch." He growls and I whimper again before turning slightly to look at Mika.

"I Geminie Blake-" I started. If I accept his rejection he wouldn't feel any pain but I knew what I had to do as I took a deep breath, sent a prayer to the Moon Goddess and grabbed my father's pinky, breaking it the way Lizaris had taught me and freeing myself from his grasp.

"I, Geminie Blake refuse to accept your rejection and instead reject you as my mate and reject you're existance." A scream pierces the air as I watch Mika clutch his neck. You see if a wolf rejects the existance of their mate and the mate bond after refusing to accept the initial rejection then their mate ends up feeling a crushing pain to their skull.

But that crippling pain in my heart was still there and growing.

The crowd gasped at what I had said and I took this chance to make my way to the pack house as they focused on Mika, my vision starting to blur from the pain.

"Gem!" Relief washes over me as Alex comes to my rescue and lifts me up into his arms before taking off at a run. My body now feeling like it was burning as the scenery past us.

"I have my tow truck towing your car and our stuff, just stay awake long enough to leave the pack." He says frantically as I fight the darkness of sleep that would carry me away from this pain.

I closed my eyes for a brief second as the burning sensation took over again, opening them long enough to find myself in the cab of a truck, my brother beside me.

"Say the words Gem, I can't cross the border until you say them." He pleads. I try to say anything but my throat was on fire.

"C'mon Gem, they're almost here." He whispers and I nodd. I needed to do this.

"I....d-denounce myself as a member of the....pack and trade m-my life as a rogue." I croak out and I feel the car zoom away, any ties to a pack vanishing from my body as I let the darkness take me.