21

Mark's pov

I sit in the waiting room, my head cradled in my hands and tears slowly dripping down my nose. I don't even try to hide them.

Amy is in that room, having her baby's corpse surgically removed from her uterus. I know it sounds gruesome, but it's true.

My life is like a Greek tragedy.

My parents get a divorce, my dad dies of cancer, and I have a heart attack and multiple surgeries. I feel like I've hit rock bottom.

But then I meet Amy, and everything starts looking up. I'm in a loving relationship, I'm doing my dream job, and I'm finally happy.

Boy was I naive.

All of a sudden, a bunch more hardships are thrown my way. An accidental pregnancy, a car crash, a coma, and a dead baby. I was wrong before.

This is rock bottom.

Don't get me wrong, the accidental pregnancy is not something I'm upset about. I couldn't be more happy, but it's still hard to get through, just as any pregnancy would be.

Why is this all happening to us.

"Mr Fischbach?" A nurse says, bringing me back to reality.

"What is it? Is she okay?" I say, standing up.

"Yes sir, everything is fine. But there's something you should see."

She turns around and opens the door to the room Amy is in. She holds it for me as I walk in.

The first thing I see is a curtain. It's light blue and it goes from one side of the room to the other. I turn around and look at the nurse questioningly. She nods her head.

I gently tug at one side of the curtain and pull it far enough so I can step into the closed off part of the room.

Amy is lying on a hospital bed with a sheet draped over her body. I sit down in a chair next to her and take her hand in both of mine.

After a few minutes, her eyes flutter open. She sees my face and smiles.

I didn't expect her to be happy though. This is not exactly the type of situation in which you'd smile.

"Why are you so happy?" I ask, gently brushing her beautiful blond hair away from her eyes.

She doesn't answer. Instead, she pulls her hand away from mine and uses it to lower the sheet to her waist.

In her arms is a living, breathing baby.