Destruction.

Destruction. 

Chapter 1. 

Flora p.o.v

It's my 16th birthday and the annual day of doom for the whole of district 12, for the whole of Panem, and the exact same as every year, a day of delight for the Capitol. I'm known as the Reaping Girl a name I have been dubbed with as long as I can remember, this name haunts me, I wish more than anything in the world not to be associated with The Reaping Day, but I know I'll never escape this. 

Every year I have an even larger chance of being sentenced to death on my birthday,My parents always did try to make to make this day like any other childs, but on my birthday every year, an air of gloom hangs over the district. The main word in that phrase being did, they died, I don't like to talk about it, all I can say is it adds to my writhing hatred towards The Capitol.

And now this day doesn't even relate to me as my birthday just as the reaping day, I live with my brother on the edge of the Seam, I hunt, it's the only way I keep us going, the only way we could survive. bar begging, and I know my mother would have despised it , I know I would rather drop dead from starvation than beg. And we all know the stories of orphans on deaths door, they get taken to the capitol... I've heard of all sorts that would be done to them, some get Avoxed, others tortured, and if you're lucky adopted by some broody capitol freaks, who are unable to have mini freaks due to weird sugery. 

Luckily my little brother Ox is only 8 you're not entered into the reaping until 12, but deep inside I know this isn't lucky, he can't fend for himself, I tried to teach him to use the bow, but he's too young to understand, if I'm shipped off to the games, where will his fate lie ? 

"We're going to be late !" I huff, I want this over with, so atleast I can relax and know that if I die in the next month it won't be in the arena. I've been entered 15 times, 5 times for my age, and 10 more for mine and Ox's tesserae. I practically drag him by the scruff of the neck out of the door, my stomach gives a deep rumble, I sacrificed my breakfast for Ox this morning, I had no time to hunt, security is tight ,so much tigther than usual on reaping day. 

I deposit Ox with my best friend sophie's mum, I give Ox a kiss on the forehead and ruffle his bright ginger mop, I feel like bursting into tears, he doesn't understand about the reaping of course he doesn't. 

"Hey Soph" I say as I join her in the line. She smiles, she's entered more times than me, due to her being the oldest of 5, her mum is so lovely she'll still take the time to make sure me and Ox are getting by, we're joined by Sabrina,Hanna and Beth. We're inseperable, they all help me out with Ox, Bethany lives in the victors village her mum is the only female Mentor for our district. many victors have faced awful things after The Hunger Games, they usually end up dark and bitter, but Beth's mum is an amazing woman, she practically rules the district and no-one questions it. Not so much can be said for the only sucessful male mentor, Rufus Wilkins. You can see him wandering the streets of the seam, he'll shout crazy things, he makes no sense, none at all, Beth's mum always makes sure he's okay, Beth and her family.. and Rufus are the only inhabitants in the victors village. 

Before I know it I am shoved into my age category, I seach the awaiting family's skirting the edge of the square, he's easy to spot, me and Ox aren't the same as the people from the seam, we stand out, bright ginger hair and vibrant green eyes covered in freckles. I remember my mother having the eyes, and my father an auburn tint in his hair.

Beth's mum strides on smiling, she's strong built, but beautiful, she's practically marching Rufus onto the stage, He let's out a bark almost imitating the exact one of a dog, beth's mum sits him down and he mumbles to himself , twitching his nose and what looks like his ears, everyones transfixed on him so we don't notice, Gregory Wilder, our district ambassodar. He comes on stern expression can't be more than 25, he's heartless that's what most say, never smiles, lends no effort and does no favours to tributes, utterly useless, in it for the money. He coughs and the whole of district 12's eyes flash back to him. 

"Ladies first" He mutters giving a smile but a mean one, no a sneer, like I said, he doesn't smile, he delves his bony hand into the reaping ball. 

"Flora Hook!" he exclaims, silence falls and the people who know who I am, their eyes flick to me, I pause, a lump forms in my throat, I take a hesitant step as the crowds part. 

Harry p.o.v

"Alright lads?" I greet Louis,Liam,Zayn and Niall, at the corner we always meet round the corner from the key, leading out into district 4's huge harbour. We're on our way to the reaping, I can't help but feel a little bit hyped, I only have 7 chances in the reaping, my family don't need the tesserae, my father and my grandad are main boat suppliers for our industry. 

But don't get me wrong I'm no career, I'm not itching for a fight, I don't want to go into the arena, I'd be out of my mind to want to. I find my family as we reach the key and feel a pang of guilt as I hug my mum,I feel bad for being so blazee' about it all, it will kill her if I go into the arena, we had a near scrape with it before, my older sister Gemma was pulled from the reaping ball 5 years back. Her boyfriend at the time Lawrence volunteered, and he went onto to win, they're now happily married. I know no-one who would volunteer for me, except the boys, but I wouldn't let them, I couldn't let it happen. 

I have a bit of a shove fight with Zayn in the line for the finger pricking, I stop abruptly as I see my mum's face, I can't be like this when she's so worried.I reach the front, there's still a possibilty, 7 possibilities to be precise. I notice Louis gone quiet, I then remember what it must be due to, his uncle is impossibly clever the Capitol took him after he stole bread and was caught they decided to go what they call 'easy' on him and keep him imprisoned and use his mind, he's head gamemaker this year and we all know with him behind it the arena will be incredible not to mention deadly, he betrayed Lou's family, Lou's dad says he could come back if he wanted to, he could think of any plan to defy snow and escape but he just doesn't. We don't talk about him anymore.

Our mentors walk on, a small middle aged woman who won by sheer luck when everything in the arena was poisonous but the fish and things in the water,and being from district 4 that's all she ate, the others all killed each other or died from poison, and the man 90 year old Jonas Highbridge, he's the best mentor you could hope for, he won the second games, one of the most humble and wise people you could ever meet.

Our district ambassodar comes on it's not the old lady that has been doing it as long as I can remember, it's a young woman early twenties not much more, scarily beautiful almost in a Capitol freak way she's called Leanie Hannigan. She wastes no time in calling the girls. There's a gasp as she pulls the name. 

"Raven Glen" 12 year old raven, the smallest 12 year old in the district, must be, she's timid and tiny and speaks with a lisp, I hate to think what the careers will make of her say about her, she steps forward visibly shaking, no-one will volunteer for little raven, her family don't want her she's the youngest of 10, one less little mouth to feed, Leanie eyes her warily and the 'sheer luck victor' wraps an arm stiffly around her tiny shoulders.

"Harry Styles..." she reads, I double take, frozen stiff, I bring myself to look at the boys, they're to shocked to do anything, a lad I never cared for shoves me forward and I stumble, as the crowd parts.