Destruction - Chapter 3 - Reunited ?

Destruction.

Chapter 3.

Flora p.o.v

I shield my saw and and damp face from the crowds as we climb onto the train, I follow Gregory down the carriage, our boy tribute is in front of me Ade Rustle, I never much cared for him, one of the cocky boys and not all that good looking, I reckon he'd have no problem stabbing me in the back if it came to it. Literally. no alliances with him.

I hate how I'm already considering alliances, I despise the game, I won't play by their rules, alliances always seem to me a way to make friends and then kill them, they end badly, and I know I won't have it in my heart to kill a friend.

He swings open the door to what will be the lounge carriage, I stop my expression must be one of horror, 22 tributes, all lined up in district order. I feel my breathing quicken I'm not ready for this, we shouldn't meet until once in the Capitol. This is no doubt a cruel trick designed to throw us and me and Ade as the last tributes from the furthest district have the most to face, I stare the line not daring to move, the expressions and looks differ more than on any people I've ever seen.

Gregory shoves us both forward meanly wanting to drop us in at the deep end, Beth's mum and demented Rufus are yet to arrive, I am shaking from head to toe, I look at the end of the line. 2 tall muscular yet slender teens, with snowy blonde hair almost like they could be brother and sister, then next to them a small girl tanned with pointy features, she looks scary, like she could slice you up with just a look from her narrowed eyes, then an equally dark haired boy, tall and muscular like the first two tributes. These are the careers, Trained to Kill, their ultimate goal, they'll team up at the beggining but brutally kill anyone in their way to victory in the last days of the games, I've seen so many of these before, usually the victors,but despite prior training not always the cleverest buttons in the box, which is usually by being outsmarted makes the year where a career loses.

I flick over the 3 tributes, nothing special there then I pause at four, a boy tall and looks to be quite strong, tanned , a flock of silky dark curls crowning his head, I look to his face, perfect turquoise eyes, like those of many in 4, he looks at me properly studying me back, the careers sneered and the 3's looked away timidly, He smiles and I go to smile back but I stop, no alliances. This boy could be anybody, He can't sneak in with his gorgeous locks and cheeky grin, I frown and look to the girl, small, tiny in fact doesn't look twelve, the same eyes as the boy, I smile encouragingly at her, she must be the only one who wouldn't betray me, too young, too nervous, I add her to my miniscule list of potential allys.

No-one else stands out, the District 7's look strong mostly from their timber lifting, and the 11's look solemn and prehaps trustworthy, 12 and 11 are much alike the people work hard.. for very little.

Ade seems to have finished his observations before me and goes ahead straight to the careers, well this guy is obviously a player, I scowl and pause who can I go to... the timid girl ? no this means going to the boy with the the curls, as the little girl seems pretty much glued to his side, he sits down , she does as he does, he get's a drink she does as he does. Seems like if I want her... I have to him too, I pause a second, why do I want her ?, I think it must be a protective side of things, I've cared for my brother for half of his life , I'm all broody, that's not right, the arena is no place for a broody mother hen.

I'm shown to my room and given a quick pep talk by Beth's mum, I couldn't have wanted a better mentor,and most importantly she has contact with home, I have a shower wash the tears off my face, time to play the game, I pull on a short blue cotton dress from one of the many garments in my room. And follow a silent but sinister Gregory to dinner. Rufus is excused to eat by himself, I kind of feel sorry for Ade, Rufus is useless, but he's already in with the careers ,stuff him.

Over dinner curly introduces himself as Harry Styles, it suits him perfectly, and the timid little girl - Raven Glen, a beautiful name the Careers snort at her little lisped voice, I give them daggers and see that Ade is laughing with them.

The food is a work of art as it's bought out platter by platter , course by course, I've never seen so much food in my life, in the seam the best food I ever had was the simplest of cakes for my 12th birthday, I forget it's still my birthday, how freaking ironic the Reaping Girl got what was coming to her I eat plate after plate trying to blank out my anger and avoid conversation, I notice Curly looking at me but ignore him, it's probably because I'm eating like a pig.

I gulp down my last mouthful of raspberry pavlova, my stomach turns combined with the nausea of the fast travelling train, I'm full to bursting and I can't keep the rich food down, luckily people excuse themselves and I rush to the toilets outside of the dining carriage. I push my way into the toilet just in time to loose all the food that seemed so delicious 20 minuetes ago, I stop and draw back, a cool hand on my clammy neck holding my hair back.

I turn in shock and he lets go, seaside curly, my sarky new nickname for the district 4 tribute, Harry. I take gulps of water feeling horribly empty and then stand up.

"You hold your food like someone from the seam, haven't had much practice" He grins looking at me blinking his turquoise eyes, I'm sweaty and lightheaded but I can't look weak, this boy is an enemy.

"Oh yes ? and how would you know ?" I say mockingly. "Because I used to live there.." He trails off, suddenly somethings triggered in my brain, a series of memories.

Harry p.o.v

"What the hell are you talking about ?" she asks, I know she's remembered something, her expressions changed but she's right to be wary, people hardly move district.

"Look you must remember" I say, of course she remembers, I knew her name the moment she walked in the beautiful eyes and striking hair, I could never forget her, I thought I was going to faint, sheer chance that we would ever be reunited, and it's happened.

I go over the events in my head, of what happened that day.

We run through the woods I follow Flora, we sit down in a clearing and her dad goes of to find something her mother has requested for the stew that night, Flora runs over to a tree spotting something of interest. I suddenly see Her , her little bow and arrow she's already so skilled with, trained on me or so it looks, she shoots and I have no time to react, I turn and behind me is a dead wild dog. Her father returns and see's it but I'm so scared I take off, running through the woods I know my way back to the seam even though I'm only 6, and then I run straight into the electric fence. I chose the unlucky hour to go under into fence that day, I'm found by a peacekeeper and my family is forced to move districts I was tresspassing, but they went easy on us.

"You saved my life" I say quietly. "I..it was impulse, spontaneous decision, I could have hit you!" She says stumbling on her words.

"You didn't though, I'm alive because of you, I can't beleive I'm here with you again, we used to be friends"

"It was a long time ago.. " She says distantly still pale as a ghost and shaking.

"No.. no it wasn't" I protest

"It was before my parents died" That silences me, and my blood runs cold.

"They.. they're dead ?" I stammer.

"Yes , times have changed, we're opponents, now just leave me be" She says angrily.

"We, could be allies" I say.

"No.. no forget our past, I don't even know you okay? the Capitol are watching us now, they won't like this" she says pushing past me and out into the corridor.

"No.. Flora I never forgot you, to see you here again that's more than coincidence" I say. I follow her down the hall and at the door to her room she stops.

"Yes,more than a coincidence, the capitol are playing on our weaknesses, you don't understand the way they work" she frowns. 

"Trust me.. I do" I murmer. 

"Seems not" She murmers.

"My best friend's uncle is head gamemaker" I trail off, she turns. 

"We can talk in the morning" She whispers, I go to embrace her and she touches the top of my arm squeezes it awkwardly and opens the door, it's like she's only just realised I'm complex too, not just her childhood friend.