Destruction - Chapter 17 - Reflection Lake.

Destruction. 

Chapter 17. 

Flora p.o.v

It's been two days since Raven died, and it's been okay, no it hasn't, I've felt numb , I didn't even know her, but it's like a peice of me is missing, despite Harry's best efforts to cheer me up I don't think this feeling along with the hallowing images of her death are going to leave my mind any time soon. 

But we're alive, that's the main thing, even though we're thirsty, we have loads of food, but we can't eat anymore with no water to wash it down, the morning after Raven's death the stream was dry, and we haven't seen a water source since. The sky's constantly over cast but no rain comes. 

And we've walked roughly two days over the moors, Some moorland fog came and it was horrible, choking almost, Harry said the best thing we could do is pull our jackets over our faces and stay low where it was less penetrative. And we were left almost lifeless after it passed coughing and coughing I couldn't get it out of my throat and then we were more desperate for a drink than ever. 

There's only been one death in the last 2 days a district 10 boy, I think everyone else is too far out for the career's to track in a day. 

We come over a hill and there is yet more expanse of dank moor, Harry told me to watch where I was stepping as there are sure to be moorland bogs that would suck you under in an instant, I try to pay attention to him, he usually knows what he's talking about, but fatigue from lack of water is dragging me down and although he tries to cover it, I know it's affecting him too. I'm not even sure I could get a sure shot on any tribute that came to attack us from 10ft away right now.

When I'm not talking to Harry about things, or when my mind is heavy with illness, I cast a thought to the others, did they see me break down over Raven's death, or see her death in detail, I shiver at the thought and the flashbacks. 

"What's wrong ?" he says nudging my shoulder. 

"Nothing, you're too observant" I try to laugh and add humour to it but it comes out blunt. 

"Sorry"  he murmers. 

"No I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like that.. I'm just tired" I say shrugging, and pulling my pack into more of a comfortable position.

"It's okay, I know how you feel" he says, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as we treck up the next hill hoping for something different, it's weird I've never had a proper boyfriend before, but I don't even know if I can call Harry that, no-one is ever in this situation when they get together, there's no room for affection in the arena, but Harry tries his best, I appreaciate it alot. Sometimes I feel like I'm shutting him out but you have to be ready in all situations in the arena, if I was too busy all caught up in Harry at the moment of a career attack we wouldn't live the remember the regrets. 

And we don't dare to talk about our situation if we survive killing all the other tributes, what would happen to us then ? would we sit it out, wait for the gamemakers to decide our fate, sometimes I think, what would happen if we all agree not to kill each other ? 24 of us lived in harmony in the arena, what would the Capitol do then ? bored in front of their televisions. 

This hill seems the highest yet, or maybe the difficulty just increases with fatigue, I want to stop and have a rest but I know we're out in the open, I wonder why Beth's mum or Harry's apparently wise mentor haven't sent us water ? or anything yet ?

I feel like I'm about to pass out as we come over the crest of the hill, then below us a few meters after the bottom of the hill a huge blue lake, it seems to be sparkling even though the sky is grey. For a moment I question myself, maybe it's a hallucination a hologram, anything's possible in the arena. I look at Harry and he stares back. 

There's not a beat to miss before we're both running, I see someone at the lake, but I can't think about anyone else anymore animal instinct takes over as I get nearer, Harry slows as he catches sight of the person, as I draw nearer I'm aware of voices, one's that are familiar. 

"Sophie" I scream, she's calling my name as I frantically call back, I don't know wether I want to talk to her or drink. 

"Beth!?" I call as I hear hers too, and then Hanna and Sabrina. 

"Get me out Flora !" Calls Sophie. 

"Where are you ?" I ask as I am at the edge of the lake, I want to drink, but my friends sound like they're in pain, there's a splash on the other side of the lake as the tribute falls in, I look down and the lake is riddled with hallowing bodies calling out ,reflections of people I love. 

"Help" I hear Hanna, and I go to reach down, there's hissing from where the tribute fell in like acid. I'm crying and I still call their names as I try to make sense of everything, I know this must be some kind of trap but I want a drink  and I want to see my friends. I'm about to reach my hand out to sophie.

Harry p.o.v

I grab Flora pulling her backwards with all my force, I'd seen with my own eyes what that lake can trick you into, the tribute falling his body disentigrated with the Acid I almost miss the cannon shot, Flora is suprisingly strong.

I hear Louis, I want to put my hands over my ears, curl into a ball , I know I'm being decieved, Zayn's call comes through. 

"No" I resist shouting I feel my grip on Flora loosen as she crawls back towards the lake, I'm also still thirsty and the thought of diving in the lake is irresistable. 

I close my eyes and block out the voices, my bones now weak from still no hydration, I can see Flora's sweating I know her mind is half willing her to stop resisting me and run a mile, as is mine but it's so difficult. I get her further away as the voices fade, I'm shaking all over, hearing their voices makes everything too real. 

We collapse on the hill, the dry grass. 

"Why did they do that?" Flora croaks. 

"they're gamemakers, it's their job" I say breathily. 

"So they aren't really trapped in the lake?" she gasps.

"No..no of course not" I say, I wait for her breathy reply but it doesn't come. 

"Flora ? FLORA ?" I sit up, shaking her shoulders, I see her bandage has fallen off and the cut has re-opened, and her face is dry and hot. I don't even know if we have the first aid kit anymore. 

There's another bigger forest to the left, I pick her up, cover is so important this lake is so open and I can almost still hear the hissing voices, as I set off I'm aware of a burning in my throat it's so dry it hurts every time I gulp for air it feels like I'm swallowing sand. 

I stumble through the tree's and set Flora down I search for the first aid kit but before I can get any further I'm unconciouss, just in time to see a silver parachute float down from the sky.