Destruction - Chapter 25 - Maisie.

Destruction. 

Chapter 25.

Flora p.o.v

It's the start of the 3rd week and the second to third week went quickly, without too much suffering, apart from the dog attacks, and the intense hunger, but we're doing well and we've found shelter in the ruins of a castle, Gould is still with us, but I know they usually end the games within a month and I'm scared about our alliance. 

There are 6 of us left. And the gamemakers won't wait long to try and bring it to a climax. 

It's late morning and Gould has managed to start a fire which shouldn't be seen under the shelter of the castle, and the smell of roasting pheasant brings on a craving for cooked food, seeing as my last cooked meal was almost a month a go. 

Harry chucks more wood on the fire and and Gould turns our makeshift spit, I'm perched on a solid,cold stone step in the shade from the sun that's broken through the clouds for pretty much the first time. 

It's so peaceful right now, I'm almost happy if I can ignore the fact we're going to die. And the fact I want to brutally murder Ade. 

Harry comes to perch next to me and hands me a leg of crispy pheasant. I'm practically drooling as I take a bite. 

"I'm scared" I say softly as I watch Gould carefully, I know he's no danger, but it's just us and the careers now, so they're bound to be hunting us. 

"What about ?" he asks seeming ridiculously carefree, as if it isn't obvious. 

"it's been too peaceful, something's going to happen soon" I say. 

"Well bring it on, it's an even match" He says.

"The careers are so well trained" I say. 

There's a brook that runs around the castle. 

"Going to get a drink" Gould nods grabbing his water bottle, and heading through the stone archway. It's like slow motion, like I had some kind of physic power, like I'm already up and screaming out at harry to get his stuff before we hear the shout, deep and unmistakeable. 

We grab our stuff and back off, ducking behind a half broken wall my heart is hammering fast and my bow is loaded, Harry's hand is clasping mine, I try and steady my breathing, there's voices, two boys, one deep and low, and another, Ade's then a girl, they're all here.. we could get to the position we want to be.. right here, right now, Harry pulls a knife silently out of his pocket. 

They seem to be collecting Gould's stuff, so they don't know we're here. 

Suddenly the girls voice comes above the other pleading, and there's a cannon shot that rings in my ears, I nearly jump out of my skin, Harry's hand is on my shoulder as if to hold me back, but of course it was Goulds Cannon how long it must seem in those minuetes waiting for your inevitable death. 

The girls pleading again. 

"Kale, I though we were friend's we both come from district one, please... I" She pleads, and sounds like she's crying. 

"Hold her down Kale" I hear Ade, what are they doing to her? I'm about to jump up Harry's other hand is on my shoulder, I can't give our cover away, I hear a scream, and a laugh a deep chuckle. The scream is high pitched, but no cannon. 

I jump up unable to let them continue what they're doing, she's whimpering now, Ade's head snaps up and he drops her and starts to run, followed by Kale, still no cannon I can hear her crying though, Kale places a kiss on her forehead and before he gets a chance to stand up, He's dead with an arrow through the heart, Ade's gone and I'm frozen to the spot, Harry's in action.