Chapter Ten

I didn't experience any other weird things over the course of the next few weeks. After me return from the hospital, I stayed home for a while to get myself back into shape. Sean stayed with me, too. I figured he was feeling kind of bad that he wasn't there to be with me when it happened and now he wanted to stay by my side as much as often, which was really sweet of him. But it wasn't his fault, what happened to me. I guess it's mine, but I don't like to think about it much.

Life was pretty boring. Besides from practicing my instruments, taking care of the dog, my parents didn't really have me do much. They were acting really nice. Like usually I always wash the dishes on Tuesdays but lately my dad has been doing them. And my mom always likes to stand by while I take a shower, as if I'll slip. Or if the wound in my chest will suddenly break open and all my guts will spill out and down the drain.

My friends have turned kind of distant too. I text them, tell them thanks for the presents, but it's hard to get replies out of them. Tamara came over for a bit and told me there's rumors going on at school about me. Like I have been "reincarnated" and I'm a bit more "holy" to go to school. Everyone thinks I'm going to come back to school dressed up as a nun. Tamara was laughing it off when she told me and I did too, but deep down it hurt.

Then enter Shayline, who came over. She told me that some people thought I tried to commit suicide. After all, Sean found me in the kitchen with a knife inside my chest. Of course it seemed like that. But Shayline told me many people envied me. They thought I had the perfect life - I mean, I did, didn't I? Wonderful parents, wonderful house, plenty of money and friends - not to mention my tutor whom my heart beat faster for? Why on earth would I want to commit suicide?

I don't think I did, did I?

Sean keeps asking me if I want to talk about it. We study a bit, and we catch up on my missing work but when we're not doing that Sean's either reading or we're watching TV. I know he's trying to be nice and a friend but I can't help wondering if he's getting tired of me. Or fed up. 

About a week later, David Pearson came by. I was practicing my piano, David was watching Youtube, and then the doorbell chimed.

"Mom?" I called, feeling too lazy and caught up in my sonatinas to move. "Can you get that?"

"I think she's out with your dad," Sean said from his laptop. "I'll get it."

"No, you don't have to," I said, suddenly feeling selfish, and left the piano bench and ran down to the front door. I opened it and...

"Good morning," David said, shoving a bouquet of roses under my nose. "I thought you might like these."

"David!" I cried happily. "Thank you so much!"

He blushed darkly, running a hand through his hair. "It's no problem. I mean, it's all I can do, since... You know, after everything that's happened..."

"Oh! I'm sorry I couldn't come on Friday," I said quietly. "I was still at the hospital, you know..."

He held up a hand. "Oh, it's no problem. I had to study for math anyway." He stuffed his hands in his pockets and fidged around as I stared at the flowers. I had never gotten flowers from a boy before. This was too good to be true...

"Avaley? You want some lunch? I think we have some leftover Uncrustables..." I heard Sean calling and then he was standing right next to me, looking at David. 

"Hi." Sean said. He looked at the flowers in my hands. "Those are lovely."

"I'm David Pearson," David stuck out his hand and Sean shook it. "I go to school with Avaley..." his face blushed and he looked at me for support.

"Oh!" I said. "Um, yeah, David's really nice and cool and he's a friend of mine, so yeah."

Sean nodded. "All right. That's cool. I'll go make some lunch. Nice meeting you, David." he waved politely and disappeared up the stairs and to the kitchen.

David let out a breath. "Is he your brother or something?" 

And then I started to laugh. "No, he's not," I laughed. "He's just my tutor. He helps me with homework, which is why you aced that math assignment I helped you with."

David laughed, too. "Oh, I see how it is. You get a tutor so you can help the cute guys with math!" I knew he was joking, and I hoped he wouldn't see my blush.

"But anyway, I'm really sorry about Friday," I said. "Can I make it up to you?"

"Totally! I'll just call you or something." I started to make a face so he said, "Tamara gave me your number."

"Oh..." I said, grinning. "Makes sense."

"Well, I gotta go now. See you later, then." he turned around and started to walk away. I was shutting the door but he stopped and said, "Avaley?"

"Yeah?" I asked. Was he going to give me a peck on the lips? Really uncalled for but I guess it wouldn't be so bad...

"If you want to talk, you know, about what happened, I'm here and I understand. So don't be afraid to ring me up." he gave me a thumbs up and then scurried away.

I closed the door, setting the roses aside. My thoughts were whizzing. What did he mean by he 'understood'? Could he be a near death survivor just like me? Or was he just trying to get into my mind, trying to get me to fancy him with all my  strange experiences over the past few days?

Whatever it was, it didn't concern me now. I was hungry and an Uncrustable with Sean seemed like a good way to begin the afternoon.