Chapter Thirty Seven

Pop music echoed out through the gym.

As I made my way towards the dance, dragging my huge, black dress with me, I wondered if Sean was even going to show up. I mean, first I had to get into his car (and get it open without actually breaking it, you know, with my strength) and find a nice place to get changed. Maybe he went home after the attempted robbery at the smoothie shop. Or maybe he was at the police station, looking for me.

Or maybe, just maybe, he'd show up here. At his own prom. I mean, he better.

I entered the gym, bright lights and loud music blaring at me. People were chattering around me - dressed in nice attires and either snacking or drinking or dancing. It seemed interesting enough. I scoped around, looking for any sign of Sean.

A loud, girly laugh interrupted my thoughts.

By the punch bar, there stood a girl wearing a hot pink dress that stopped in mid thighs and had no straps. She had curly hair and bright red lipstick, and I recognized her immediately - Roanne. That frilly girl who seemed to like to hang out with Sean lately. She was talking with some guys and girls, quite a large crowd, actually. But she didn't seem to notice me, and I didn't want her to anyway. But maybe she knew where Sean was. After all, they seemed like good buddies.

I started to walk towards her, but stopped. I could find Sean by myself, and I didn't want any of her help. Maybe I could - 

"I don't recognize you." a voice chirped to my right.

I opened my mouth, already saying, "Well, I'm just visiting here." when I realized who it was. 

Sean.

My mouth dropped open. He was wearing a suit and tie, but what amazed me was what he was holding. A bouquet of flowers.

"Oh, hi." I said.

He grinned. "Just, 'oh, hi?'"

"Sorry about what happened at the store," I blurted out. "Were you okay?"

"I was okay," he said softly. "But you, Avaley. You are something amazing." he gave me a warm smile and handed me the flowers. "You saved those people. Thank you."

"Sean," I breathed out. "These are lovely, thank you."

"And that's a beautiful dress," he remarked. "I wish you could know how gorgeous you look, Avaley."

Um, I didn't need to. I was a bit more worried that he realized I had crazy super powers rather than how I looked. Well, at least he was  giving me attention.

"Sean?" a voice asked. Sure enough, Roanne was heading over to us. "Oh, Sean, it is you!" she cried and walked over to him. She looked at me, up and down at my dress, then at the flowers in my hand. "Um, hi."

"Hi." I said, then forced out some manners. "Roanne, right?"

"Yeah," she said quickly. "Amber, right?"

"It's Avaley." I corrected her.

"I invited Avaley here," Sean explained, beaming at me happily. "I mean, it's the least I could do for how awesome she's been lately."

Roanne glared at me then softened her look and looked at Sean. "Well, okay. Anyway, we're gonna hang out here for a bit, me and the gang, then we're gonna go get some dinner. You down?"

"Meh," Sean replied. "I think I wanna take Avaley out for some of our own fun." he winked at me, and my heart felt like it was soaring through the sky.

"All righty, if you're too cool you'd rather hang out with some kid you're tutoring." she let out a huff and headed back over to her friends.

"So, let's head out, yeah?" Sean said after she left. "I don't know about you, but this dance is pretty crappy." I laughed.