Chapter Twenty Seven

"I'm here!" I cried, standing up instantly, staring at the guards shining flashlights around. Instantly, several pairs of eyes and flashlights looked upon me.

"All right, you're surrounded, kid!" a woman barked. "Now, come on over, slowly, and don't try any tricks. Because it won't work!"

I held my head down as I took a step towards them, but then one of the guards yelled, "She's got something behind her back!"

They all reached for their pockets, and in a flash, several handguns were pointed at me.

"Drop it!" the bushy eyebrow guard barked at me, his gun wavering. "Come on kid, you don't want to do this!"

"Hands above your head!" the female demanded, taking a step towards me. "We don't want to shoot you, but what you're holding behind your back is a threat!"

I remained standing, staring at them, as they continued to threaten me.

"Come on, kid," an older guard pleaded. "This isn't fun and games anymore. This is the real deal. Now, put your hands above your head. This has already gone too far."

I held my head high, looking at all of them. "I can't do that," I whispered.

"What?" the guard with the bushy eyebrows said, his eyebrows merging together.

"I can't do that," I whispered, looking down at my feet.

"We are going to be forced to shoot!" the female barked loudly. I watched her eyes quiver to my side and I immediately knew what was happening.

"You can't stop me," I said loudly. "I know that there's someone behind me." and with that, I threw the bomb to a box beside me and hurled my fist at the guard who was attempting to sneak behind me. It landed on his nose and yelled loudly, a sickening crack echoing throughout the room.

"Don't shoot her!" someone screamed but another person yelled, "Shoot her!"

A loud crack shattered my ears and I ducked, watching a bullet explode into the wall. I reached up and grabbed the bomb and, ducking under boxes, ran towards the door, holding the wires close to my chest as they all screamed to find me.

Suddenly, someone jumped in front of me, blocking my path. It was the bushy eyebrow guard. He pointed his gun at me. "You don't want to do this, Avaley," he said.

I started to book it but I paused. "How do you know my name?" I asked but then someone threw a fist into my jaw. I dropped the bomb and someone grabbed both of my wrists. I realized it was that woman. I threw my leg up and kicked her stomach and sent her barreling back into boxes. That bushy eyebrow guard who knew my name charged for me, sending his gun to hit me but my hand got there first and whacked it out of his hand. He tried to punch me but I ducked and threw one into his ribs and he doubled over. I pushed him aside and grabbed the bomb and lunged for the door, going so fast I thought I was flying. 

A guard was there, and as I was landing towards the ground, I kicked his head and down he went, as I threw myself out the door and down the stairs.

I burst into the hallway, and passed all the bathrooms as I looked around for an exit, frantic to get this stupid bomb out of here - 

"Avaley?" a voice asked. I turned my head.

Sean.

And that girl, who hugged her arms around his waist, peeking out from behind his left arm.

"Sean!" I gasped, a bit more shocked he found me than he was here, talking to me.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school?" he asked harshly, and then his gaze fell to the bomb. "What the... Avaley, what is that?"

The girl came up from behind him and her eyes widened at what was in my arms. "Oh my g**. Is that... Sean, is that - " she tugged on his sleeve, as they were both staring at it. 

And then things happened at once. Sean screamed, "Behind you!" and pointed at me, and then he shoved that frilly girl aside. He started to run towards me, but I turned around and saw a guard running at me, and Sean was charging for me and so was that girl so what did I do?

I jumped.

A little too high, as I begun to hover and I looked up and there was a window! I could fly through there!

I started to fly up and looked down at Sean, beneath me. He had crashed with the guard, and was rubbing his head but squinting up at me.

"What are you?" he asked, his voice cracking with fear.

"I can do things you can't," I replied, strangely calm, and flew up towards the window. It shattered loudly, and the morning sun blared in my eyes. The bomb strangely grew heavier, and either it was me or it grew warmer, which was weird. But a bad sign.

I flew up towards the sky, trying to get as far away from the ground as possible. I was flying so fast and the sun was so bright and the wind so cold and I just wanted to make this thing go away, when someone yelled:

"Avaley!"

I looked down and David was coming up fast. I looked away, focusing my purpose on getting this bomb away and saving them all. 

"Avaley, let go!" David bellowed, flying up quicker.

I shook my head. "No, it's not far enough!" I cried and I realized I was actually physically crying. David neared me and tugged on my shoe.

"Avaley, that's enough!" he yelled. "It's over!"

"No it's not!" I croaked. "It's not far enough yet!"

"Avaley, listen to me!" he bellowed. "That bomb is not real! Do you hear me? That bomb is not - "

Too late, I couldn't listen any more because it exploded.