Chapter Twenty Nine

By the time we got back to school, it was after lunch. Which meant fifth period, which meant Mr. Hauge's class.

And unfortunately, David didn't have that period with me.

As I emerged from the bathroom, smoothing down my uniform, David was fixing his up by the water fountain. He saw the panicked look on my face and came over to me. "Avaley, I won't let him hurt you," he told me in a soothing voice, though not as soothing as that woman. "Besides, it's a full class. What's the worst he can do to you? Try and jump you in the middle of a pop quiz?" I forced a laugh at his lame joke.

"It's just that..." I whimpered. "I'm scared of him." 

David made a face. "Scared?" he laughed loudly, throwing his hands up. "Avaley Camber, you have no right to be scared of that pathetic man. He's a low life, preying on underaged girls, and you can fly. He sits around all weekend drinking beer and watching inappropriate things while you run faster than any cheetah." I thought about it.

"Okay, so maybe I'm not the typical human being," I said. "Err, wait. We're not the typical human beings, but I still don't get why I'm so scared. It's just that... Every time he gets close to me, my heart speeds up. Not in the love kind of way, but in fear." I wished I could run home and hide under my covers. As wimpy as it sounded, it seemed kind of nice compared to what happened to me today. "Besides, he's going to be mad about what I did to him this morning."

"That was his fault, Avaley." David said quietly. He sighed and looked at the ceiling. "I really wish I could be there with you, Avaley."

"I know."

Suddenly a grin ignited on his face. "I have a plan."

"What? What?" I asked. Maybe we were going to book it and go home! That way I wouldn't have to go to this horrible class!

"Follow me," he said and grabbed my hand just as the bell rang.

He was waiting at the door when we rounded the corner.

Arms crossed over his chest, a smug look on that pathetic face, I watched his eyes skim over a girl's skirt as she passed by. Pathetic low-life. I growled internally, but then focused on following David's lead.

"Okay, just as we rehearsed, all right?" David asked.

"Roger," I said, and I couldn't help but feel excited.

Mr. Hauge's eyes fell onto me and my heart nearly stopped. But then David's arm reached over and wrapped around my shoulders and he held me close to him. We were a few feet from Mr. Hauge's class, and less than a few feet from Mr. Hauge himself. I felt him watching us as David and I hugged.

"I'm going to miss you soooo much," I said in the best lovey-dovey-bird voice I could muster in David's chest. 

"I know, me too... Sweetheart," David said loudly. "But I'll see you after school, okay?"

"Okay... Honey..." I said and slapped myself internally. Old boring parents called each other that. Not teenager kids with super powers.

And then David did something weird. He leaned down towards my face and pecked my lips, which kind of shocked me. Then he pulled back and said, "Love you, Avaley!" and turned around and disappeared around the corner.

I just stood there, wondering what the heck just happened.

A lot of kids snickered as they passed me, but I was in too much shock to think. Had David just... You know... Kissed me? Like lovers did? 

Weird...

I turned around and forced my legs back to life as I pulled myself towards Mr. Hauge's class. Before I knew it, I was smiling - not because of Mr. Hauge, who watched me with a strange look on his face - but because, well, you know, David.

And that kept me going for the rest of the day.