Chapter Thirty Six

Once outside, I disappeared into the sky.

Crazy, I know, but come on. Where was I supposed to go? I had to escape from that scene, and flying seemed the only good way to do it...

Plus, I felt embarrassed.

I hung out in the sky for a while, watching planes and birds go by, and pretty soon I felt tears welling up in my eyeballs. But then, I figured, I shouldn't cry. Why? Because what was there to cry about? I hadn't done anything wrong. In fact, I'd stopped that store from getting robbed. Who should be crying now?

But I thought about that beautiful woman. How strange I had seen her again, and yet... Had she saved my life or something? She specifically told me that I wasn't going to die. And at that same time, a bullet was being hurled to my chest. Anyone see the problem in this?

Well, that was in the past. 

As for the present...

I looked down at civilization below me. Should I return to them? Or should I fly up higher and never be see nagain?

But that beautiful woman... What she had told me... 

I was destined to do something.

I had come back from the dead with these amazing powers and I had to do something... But what? I didn't know what, and something told me that I should go back down to the city to see what I could do. Sure, I kind of showed off my powers in public, in front of Sean, but I had technically saved their lives. What else could I do?

Sean.

A smile split up my face. Sean, the prom, dresses and...

Now, I couldn't miss the prom, couldn't I?

But would Sean even go? What if he went to the police station to talk about my disappearance or whatnot? Or maybe he'd just shrug it off and go to the prom and dance with more prettier, better girls than me?

Well, I couldn't let him do that!

But my dress! It was in his car. What if he went home and I couldn't get it?

Well, I couldn't let him do that!

But what just happened! What if people recorded it, or security footage got it, and then people put the pieces together? Realized who I really was? 

Well, I couldn't let them do that!

I, Avaley Camber, was not going to be let down just because of a couple of bad things in my day. I knew that I was more than that. And I was going to go out and show the world who I really was!

And with that, I headed down to the city, down to my dress, and down to Sean... To enter the night that I had so willingly let come into my being, but didn't even notice the dangers that carefully lurked around the corner.