Chapter Fourty Three

We quickly sprinted down the hall, Tamara holding onto my bound wrists. When we got to the end of the hall, instead of going left towards the front doors to get the heck out of here, she turned right and dragged me with her, heading towards more classrooms. And most of all, deeper into the school, and within vicinity of Mr. Hauge and David. Both of whom I still didn't trust.

"What's going on?" I asked as we passed several classrooms, teachers looking up from their grading and work and video games and texting at us.

"No time for that!" Tamara replied. "For now, you just have to stay with me!"

"How did you even know you had to get me out of there?" I asked her. We suddenly stopped and ducked into a computer lab, which was dimly lit with the door cracked open ajar. I came in after Tamara and we went to the very back of the room and ducked behind the printer table, where no one could see us at first if they walked in. David, however, possessed the power to see through things, so I figured we wouldn't be hiding here for long...

Tamara let out a breath and looked at me. "So."

"Buttons." I replied, instantly, and shook myself out of it. "Okay, what the heck is going on?"

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Obviously David hasn't told you anything, has he?"

"Well... he said he would, but we never got around to it, I guess," I said, suddenly feeling awkward. All this time I thought David was just busy. I never thought that he was just trying to stray away from the topic of... talking about it. 

"That's because he doesn't want you to know, Avaley," Tamara said, kind of forcefully. "Sorry... It's just that... How could you trust him?"

"Tam," I said quietly. "He understands me. I don't know if you know this, but he's just like me. In more ways than you could imagine and..." I trailed off. "I don't know if he feels the same way about me, after what just happened, but I really like him. A lot." Tamara groaned.

"Don't you listen at all, Avaley?" she asked. "We told you to stay away from him. Sure, he's got it all - the looks, the brains, the body - but you know he's a player, first of all." she began to count of on her fingers. "And, well... I don't know how to tell you this, but..."

"What?" I whispered. "Is he... Gay?"

"Avaley!" she snapped. "No, he's not. Okay, David, he is like you. I'll admit that. But, he's like you in a different way."

"What?"

"Let me talk. David, he can do what you can do, with the super power, super speed, the vision and the flying."

"Wait," I held up a hand. "How do you know that? How  do you know that me and David are... Capable of those types of things?"

She gave me a small smile. "I've known for a while, Avaley." Um... "But anyway. I know that you and David can do those things, but David is different." she pursed her lips, and I knew something important was about to come out. "He's been hunting you all this time."

Hunting? "What do you mean by that?" I said, so softly, scared David would suddenly come in and try to murder us. Somehow, I felt apprehensive whenever I thought of him.

"He's like, the law enforcement of the big upstairs," she explained. "Only, he's from the badder part of the big upstairs. When you died, a fallen angel was reincarnated into you so the angel could have one last time to see their true love. You were originally supposed to die after the angel inside of you saw their true love, but..."

I held up a hand. "Wait, wait, I'm lost. David is law enforcement of... hell?"

She tilted her head. "Sort of. But anyway, when you died, an angel was reincarnated into your body. You seemed right, and that angel was able to fit in with you. That angel just wanted to find their true love one last time. They met at the mall."

I blinked, trying to take it all in. "So are you saying that there's an angel inside of me?"

"Which is why you have your powers."

"And... this angel wants to see their true love?"

"Yes. It was that man at the mall."

I blinked. Oh, I remembered! That bushy haired guy. I mean, I'm pretty sure it was him. The one who strangely knew my name, seemed kind of young and... Well, had bushy eyebrows. I'm pretty sure that was who - 

"He had bushy eyebrows? Knew your name?" Tamara said, trying to jog my thoughts. "Ring a bell?"

"Several," I said. "So what, this apparent angel inside of me got so see her love, which was this man. So how come I'm still here, alive and talking to you?"

"I'm not quite sure," Tamara said. "But I'm also not sure why you've also inherited that angel's powers as well. You still should have died."

Where did I ever hear that? I thought sarcastically. "So what role do you play in all of this?"

She just smiled. "I can't tell you. But for now, let's focus on David."

"Okay, what about him?" I said, my mind half wandering into my thoughts, trying to process everything I had just learned.

"Apparently he had some near death accident a while ago," Tamara told me. "I know this because he told Shay, because you know, he and her sort of went out. Anyway, he was gone for a while from school. When he came back, he was totally different. Before his accident, he was a total loner. Smart, skinny and quiet and no one really talked to him. But when he came back, he was totally different. He was totally good looking, outgoing, hilarious, and everybody just started talking to him again."

"Weird." I said. "So... How did you figure out he was an angel, or whatever it's called?"

"He attacked Shayline," she replied quickly. "They were hanging out, and she accidentally ticked him off. She... she left him after that, but David kept saying he left her. That she wasn't good enough for him. After Shayline told me, I began to watch him carefully, and one day, I saw him."

"Saw him...?" I egged her on.

"It was after school one day," she said. "I was passing a teacher's class and I... I was walking by, and I looked through the door. I saw David, but then I stopped, because he didn't look right."

"What happened?" I asked her, but I was afraid I already knew the answer.

"He had wings, Avaley," Tamara said, and tears poured down her cheeks.

And then, it happened. I wanted to tell Tamara, but suddenly she screamed and then she was flying across the classroom, and smashed into a desk. I screamed, but then someone grabbed my neck and I was up against the wall, and I was met with the beautiful but enraged face of David Pearson...

Wings unfolded.