Chapter Thirty One

My parents announced the divorce right as I walked in.

They started to fight, Ryker was brought up, and my dad stormed out of the house. My mom sniffled on the couch, asked me why I didn't show up for half my classes today, but dismissed it as she turned on the TV and pulled out her Oreos.

"You need to get away sometimes, sweetie," she sniffled into the blanket. "Just don't get yourself into trouble."

I nodded and darted up to my room. I felt like crying after watching the quarrel between my parents. I worked on homework, dreaded homework, to get my mind off of things. That only lead me to checking my grades, and I realized I was below Bs in four of my classes and was missing several assignments. And to top that off, a message appeared from none other than Mr. Hauge.

To whom it may concern,

Hello, I'm Mr. Hauge, Avaley's science teacher. Avaley is an amazing student. She is fully capable of doing extreme things and it is an honor to have her in my class. She's a beautiful student inside and out. I would like her to remain this way, however, circumstances in her life have brought her grade to dropping by very much. I feel concerned for her, and if possible, would like to schedule some meetings to get her back on track. Perhaps me and Avaley, one-on-one, before and after school? The homework I give out may require some extra lecturing to get through to Avaley. But after some work and effort, I know she will be back in it and ready to go, like the model student she always is.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

I roared in rage and smashed my fist into the wall.

After I managed to patch up the damage with what resources I had, I went under my covers and bawled. Mr. Hauge, it seemed, would stop at nothing to get me into his classroom alone. School wasn't going so well for me, and my best friends were still ignoring me. Ryker, my amazing dog, was still foreve and lost, and my parents were divorcing. I hadn't practiced my instruments or other talents in... Forever.

I missed the old days.

Life wasn't perfect back then, but it was something. Dad and his early morning teases before he set out to walk the dog. Me and mom's conversations about life in general as she drove me to school. Joking around with Tamara and Shayline, gossiping about the latest feed and checking out cute guys. Struggling through school work, but struggling together. I'd go home with Sean and we'd have our own fun, studying while fooling around and bonding together. I don't think he ever noticed how much I would blush when he'd look at me. 

It was if someone had taken my life and pulled out the good parts - my dog, my friends, my parents, my freaking sanity  - and replaced it with... This. What I had now. My powers.

"My powers," I muttered out loud. I reached out and my phone flew into my hand. I hurled it as hard as I could towards the window - and reached out with my hand and it flew back. I lifted up my bed with one hand and my shelf with the other. I was able to do a hundred and fifty push ups in a minute. I could see as far as my mom's work. 

It was strange - I possessed amazing capabilities, yet did I like them?

I wasn't sure.

I could fly. I had super strength. I had amazing vision. I could levitate objects at will. I was what everyone wanted - Amazing Avaley, as many called it - but they didn't know. They didn't know what pain I was going through inside. What was really going on with me.

I cried for a long time, hiding underneath my blankets. I pulled out my old stuffed animals and played with each one of them, remembering the old days when I was younger. I rooted through my old diaries, back when I was able to write in them, and chuckled at my silly handwriting and spelling. I found some scrapbooks my mom got made for us, and admired the artwork she spent hours making and buying. I traced my fingers along the pictures of us - our happy family. Mom, dad, me, Ryker, and Kevin...

Kevin.

I stared at the little face in the picture. I squinted down at it, trying to recognize more of this boy through the blurriness. Through my tears and emotions, I still had room in my rotting heart to remember Kevin. Kevin, Kevin, dear old Kevin.

I wondered what would happen if he hadn't left us?

Shaking his face from my memories, I turned the page and laughed at several pictures of Ryker and his moments as a little puppy. Sneaking into the pantry, pooping in the bathrub... He was one crazy puppy, but we still loved him.

I bit my lip. Was that dog even alive? It was my fault he was gone. I let him out. I let him out of my reach. And now, I was too weak to tell my parents what happened. 

I stuffed that stupid scrapbook away. It was too painful to look at. I surfed the internet, played some games, and finally collapsed onto my bed, staring at the ceiling. My emotions were a mixture of sadness, grief, anger, hate and anticipation. Not to mention... Love.

I know, as gooey as it sounded, thinking of David sent warm feelings down my spine. I couldn't force myself to think of Sean - not after this morning. I knew he hadn't come over because my parents had called him. He wouldn't want to be here when everyone was fighting. I desperately wanted to contact him, tell him the truth, but how could I trust him? Not when he was with that... Girl. That girl he never even told me about. But he was just my tutor, nothing more. I deserved it.

Heck, I deserved everything.

I was selfish - I had everything practically handed to me in my life and I never appreciated it. They were right when they called me Amazing Avaley, when they commented on my perfect life. They were right when they said I was living the dream.

Because I was.

And now, I had woken up. That dream was gone. Amazing Avaley was dead. It was just Avaley now. Avaley and her powers. Avaley who barely saved those people in the mall...

I stopped feeling sorry for myself and sat up. That bomb. I had totally forgotten about it in my mixture of feelings and heart flips for David. What gives, that bomb? David said he intentionally planned for it to be fake... But somehow, it blew up. Had someone done that? Set us up? Tried to kill us (or David, or me)? Or was David lying to me?

No, David wouldn't lie. I trusted him too much. I barely knew him, but I trusted him. 

I opened my eyes to find my mom leaning over me, tucking me in like she did in the old days. She'd always have to call my dad, because I wanted both of them to kiss me goodnight. My dad added "bonuses" when I was extra good - and Ryker got to kiss me goodnight, too (mom didn't appreciate it as much as dad and I did).

But now, it was just my mom. Dad was gone, angry at us, and Ryker was still gone as well, most likely dead or starving somewhere.

"I'm sorry, Avaley," my mom whispered, a tear spiling across her cheek.

I blinked several times, trying to get out of my grogginess. I wanted to sit up. Talk to her. Tell her I loved her, and tell her how sorry I was for being such a brat. I wanted to tell her everything, my dear mother, but I was so tired.

"Things will get better soon, sweetie," she murmured and kissed my forehead.

"I know, mom, they will," I wanted to say but all that came out was a snore. My mom gave a small smile and stood back, giving me one last look and headed to my door and shut it quietly.

I was left alone. And with that, I let myself fall into the depths of the unknown and the darkness of the night, only to await the gruesome horrors of tomorrow.