Chapter Ninteteen

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" David asked, drawing the curtains in my room shut, as if he was preparing for some absurd ritual to bring me into some sort of gang. As if this was an initiation... Actually, that kind of sounded accurate... 

I nodded, pursing my lips so I wouldn't blurt out my doubts. I wanted this, and now I was getting it. There was no backing down. "Of course. Can we start already?"

David laughed as he threw himself into my bean bag chair. I casually sat at my desk, spinning around in my chair before facing him. "Well?"

David just stared at me. "You really don't know, do you?" he asked.

"Know what?" I replied.

"All the things that you are truly capable of."

A very dramatic and emotional line it was, I was still confused as heck. I needed an explanation now or else I was going to go insane and live the rest of my life in agony and tension. David had better be a good speaker.

"No, I honestly don't know," I said, annoyed. "Now, can you please just tell me about these... Powers?"

"All righty, then," he said, sitting up straighter. "So, let's go over what we know you can do. You can obviously grab things without using your hands - like me - and you possess super strength. You know, like when you dented in that light pole?" Yes, how could I forget? "And let's not forget your vision. Your..." he paused for words. "Your see through vision."

I laughed. "See through? Everytime I see through things I see weird colors and my head feels like it's being chopped up in a blender!"

He shrugged. "Well, Avaley, you aren't used to these powers so how can I say that the next time you see through a door, it won't hurt?" I guess he was right, but I still didn't get what he was talking about. "And I'm pretty sure you have the speed, from when you ran from school to the hospital. That was really fast." he sounded impressed. "Anything else I'm missing?"

I thought about it. "Nope, not really," I said. "You've covered just about everything."

"Strange," he tilted his head at me. "I figured you'd have more."

"Is that supposed to make me happy?" I growled, gripping the arms of my chair so hard I felt them cave in.

"Sorry," he replied. "And watch those arms. I don't want you breaking them already." he gave me a small smile and cleared his throat. "Okay, so let's start from that day. Think back as far as you can remember, before all of this started happening."

I closed my eyes and thought about it. Frankly, all this weird stuff kind of felt like it was part of me now, like seeing through things was part of my normal life. And yet, somehow, I knew that it wasn't, even though I had grown so used to and accustomed to it. But then my thoughts hit something - something I soon realized - was the answer to David's request. And it fit perfectly.

"The night I died," I whispered.

David leaned in closer to me. "Exactly," he said. "Can you tell me what happened?"

Instinctively, my hand went up and traced the scar where the knife had punctured. I took a deep breath before explaining everything. "I was... I was cutting bread, with a knife."

"Why were you cutting bread?" David asked me.

"Sean and I were going to eat sandwhiches for a snack," I said, my hand running up and down the scar. "He asked if I need help, but... I said no, and he left the room. I..." I gulped. "I was thinking..." I looked at David. "I was thinking of you before it happened."