Chapter Fourty One

I winced.

Right down the row of the report card, read straight up B's, one A-, and one D. And that was in Mr. Hauge's class.

But I couldn't believe this. This was my report card, and I only pulled one A? Well, an A- wasn't technically an A in my family, so seriously, if my parents saw this, I'd be dead before I could figure out how to turn invisible again. Because this... This...

"What'd you get?" David asked, walking over to me as I stood next to my locker - our designated meeting area every day after school. Since my parents now trusted him over Sean, I guess I could get used to hanging out with him a lot. "Probably straight A's up and down, huh?" I managed to catch a climpse of his paper tucked under his hand - I saw all A's, except for a A-. Strange, how smart this boy was. "C'mon, Avaley, don't make me use my see through vision." Oh yeah, he could do that, huh?

"No," I said. "I don't feel like showing you."

"Why?" he asked. "Are you too modest? It's all A's, huh, with no A minuses, huh? Smart girl. C'mon, just let me see!" he held out both of his arms, as if trying to show he was safe to tell. But how could I ?These were the worst grades I had ever received!

"I just don't want to," I said, turning around. I started to walk down the hall and waited for David to follow me. But when I turned around, I realized Tamara and Shayline had approached him and were talking to him. What were they doing? I quickly headed back, and Tamara casted a dark look at my direction. 

"I don't see why you guys matter," David was saying as I approached. "It's none of your business, anyway." he looked at me and said, "C'mon, Avaley, let's go."

"We still should know!" Shayline snapped. "We knew Sean, a little bit more than you probably do, David." she looked at me and said, "We heard what happened." Well, of course they did. I'm sure everyone did, but no one bothered to ask me, since I wasn't exactly the most popular girl. 

"Yeah... So?" I said, a big immaturely, but whatever.

Tamara crossed her arms and glared at me. "Avaley, we may have been ignoring you for a while, but we still care about you." her voice softened and my heart went out for her. "We're just upset about how you've been doing, and we're still concerned about everything." Shayline elbowed her and whispered, "Don't sound like you love her, dummy."

"Okay," David said, stepping in. "You've had your love moment. Now can you just leave Avaley and I alone?"

"I don't see why you defend her so much!" Shayline snapped loudly at him. "You're not her bodyguard, why can't you let us ask her?"

"Maybe because you've been jerks to her!" David shot back.

"We have not! It's all because you've stepped in and stold her heart!" Tamara jabbed a finger at David. "Avaley was perfectly normal until you came into her life!"

"Who are you to say that?" David yelled. "Huh? You don't know Avaley as well as I do! You're just her friends who're into the latest gossip, just so you can tweet about it!"

And then I saw Shayline's hand reach up to slap David's cheek, but he was quicker. He grabbed her hand and she squealed, and I watched his fingers circle around hers tightly. He was going to break her hand if he kept squeezing like that!

"David, that's enough!" I cried, reaching over and wrenching his hand off of hers. "Just stop!" 

Shayline stood back, clutching her hand against her chest as Tamara wrapped an arm around her. "We tried to help, Avaley," Tamara said as they began to walk down the hall. "Why are you just pushing us away?"