Chapter Fourty Four

A question came into my mind. If David was here, in front of me, with wings, then how come I never saw them when we'd be flying together? Back when I actually trusted him?

Then again, I didn't even know I had a reincarnated angel inside of me. Or whatever that was.

Anyway, as I stared at David Pearson's wings, listening to my heart beat, and his eyes slashing through mine, I couldn't help but wonder those things.

But his eyes...

His eyes were completely black. Yup, black. Same as Sean's that night he tried to murder me. And now, David Pearson's eyes were black, too. And you think you know a person, huh?

"Good night, Avaley," David growled in an unseeingly mean voice. I looked down at his hand and there was that blade, ready to slice into my heart. I guess this was the end. I mean, it was always coming. No matter what the beautiful woman said or no matter what the angel inside of me wanted, I was going to die. Fact of life, kids.

"So all this time," I found my voice box letting out. "You were just getting ready to kill me? You never really, at all, cared about me? After all we've been though?"

David grinned, and I noticed the sharpness his teeth had seemed to let on. In other words, it seemed like he had fangs. Or whatever you call sharp teeth. "You think too much, Avaley," he murmured. "Maybe for once you should just... Let go..."

Good idea.

And then, David took a step back. I got a better look at his wings, then I realized his black eyes were raking all over the wall behind me. Shock and confusion clouded his face as he dropped the blade as I realized he couldn't see me. Somehow, I had managed to turn myself invisible again, just in the nick of time. I don't know how, but my invisibility came at awesome moments.

I let out a breath.

David's black eyes flew to mine and he roared, lunging for me. Crap, he found me. Quickly, I ducked and grabbed the dagger. As David's body started to land over me, I regretted doing it, but I slashed the dagger over his chest. He yelled in pain and stumbled back, clutching at his ripped shirt. He crashed into the table with printers and stuff and with a loud crash, they all came tumbling down. I tossed the blade aside and ran to help Tamara.

But the blade wouldn't leave my hand. I shook my wrist, but the blade stayed put. I tried to pry it off with my other hand, but the blade stayed put. It was stuck in my hand. For reals. Well, at least I wouldn't have to worry about finding a weapon next time.

"Tam!" I cried and scrambled over to my friend, who was in an awkward position where David had thrown her. "Are you..." I shut up when I realized one arm was completely broken - beneath her elbow, that section of her arm lay limp and crooked at a bad angle. A large, red slash was teeming with blood on her forehead. Her eyes were squeezed shut, too tight, as if she was anticipating the painful contact with the wall she collided into. "Tam..." I squeaked, feeling a tear dribble down my cheek. 

Tamara was my best friend. Sure, she didn't come from the best family and sure, Shayline was a good friend too, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized how good she was. She knew what was happening with me - after all, she saved me from David. Obviously she had to do with whatever was going on. And she was just a kind person. When I got hit in the face from a scooter in fourth grade she stayed with me until my mom came and waited patiently outside my house until I got home. Or when Ryker broke his arm and I was too shocked to go and see him outside, Tamara went and made sure he was okay before she came up to get me. On my birthday, I said I really wanted nothing, since I really did, and besides, I didn't want to have a lot of junk anyway. So Tamara took it in her own hands to give me an empty box. "It's nothing, like you wanted!" she had told me as I stared flabbergasted at the contents of the cardboard box.