Neko Princes: Split

...The kingdom erupted in cheers as they watched their troops march back inside their beautiful kingdom. Wives hugged their husbands, kids hugged their parents, some mourned as they held in their hands remnants what was left of their beloveds. Yet the two princes of the kingdom watched as their Father's sword was set in Gilbert's suddenly shaking hands. The placer of the sword hung their head and whispered four grave words,
"Long live the King."

Ludwig stood motionless as he watched his own brother chuck the sword towards an innocent guard who screamed and dodged just as the sword stopped at his head.
"This-why had no one protected my father?! This is pure-!" But Matthew ran up to Gilbert and grabbed the older's hand, pulling him down to the smaller's level.

"It's okay Gil-my Papa died too...he was a good Papa, but  you're strong: you'll heal in time!" Those lavender eyes held hope and suddenly Gilbert was pulling the child into his arms, crying into Matthew's smaller shoulder, small hands soothing the eldest's soul with comforting pats on the older's head.

Ludwig's head swiveled as he heard his mate's soft voice whispering, "Ludwig? Luddy! You're crying-are you okay what happ-"

Ludwig touched his wet cheeks and indeed he was crying. His voice let out an unknown choking sound that could only be described as a choked sob. Feli ran over and pulled his mate into a warm hug, crashing to the floor with the heavier body when he wasn't strong enough to hold himself up anymore.

Ludwig's mate's sweet voice sung their comforting words through his ears, singing in his native tongue that made Ludwig weak and jelly-legged. Those soft narrow hands ran through his hair, only stopping to set the small crown aside and continue on with soothing strokes.

The guards watched the pair with hushed whispers and weird confused looks, but Feli paid no mind to what they said. That is until Ludwig peered his heartbroken face up at his mate and whispered, "Don't you care what they s-say?"

The young brunette just smiled sweetly before running his fingers over his mate's cat ears, drawing a soft purr from him, "What they say will not hurt me anymore than what my kingdom has said to me."

Ludwig's tail went rigid, back straightening before sitting up and cupping Feli's cheeks with shaky hands, "What did they say? I'll make them pay-" but his mouth was covered by two hands that made his words come out muffled.

"No need to make my kingdom perish even in it's rubble Luddy...you've done enough. Now...what happened? Why is your brother crying and what has gotten you...so....so upset?"

Those amber eyes became concerned in a heartbeat and Ludwig felt his heart ache inside his chest at the pity and love he felt for the feminine boy in front of him.
With his ears pulled back, he sat the crown atop his head. Standing with his mate's hand in his own he sighed heavily-feeling like the world was just set on his shoulders.

And so the young prince explained to his mate what had happened. Only for Feliciano to crumple to his own knees and become filled with something ice cold that was cutting his insides to shreds all at the same time. His Grandfather's death hit him deep within his soul enough for Ludwig to feel it. And then Feli looked up at his mate-eyes crying fat tears that Ludwig was quick to kiss away.

"He's...he's...gone...gone? He's...he's...dead? But..."

Gulping the older pulled the smaller closer, taking him to their quarters after a devastating day.

When the news spread throughout the kingdom, the villagers were in an outrage. They wailed, yelled, and wept inside their homes at the loss of their dead king. Ludwig just watched with tense shoulders, his eyes transfixed on a group of soldiers gathering in the center of town.