Some Writing Tips - Worldbuilding & Characterization

[published 03.27.17]

   Hey, everyone! It's been forever and a day since I've updated this book, but recently I've had a lot of thoughts about writing in general, and I figured I might as well share them.

   Now, the intention here is not to put myself on a pedestal. I will be the first to admit that I am far from a flawless writer. I make a lot of mistakes and very little of what I do could ever be considered "perfect." In writing, you should always be your biggest critic. There are just a few things I've learned over my four years on this website and through a literature class that I'm taking this year that has taught me a lot about writing, so I figured I'd share a little of what I've learned.

   Now, if there is only one thing anyone takes away from this chapter, it's this quote:

"Every choice an author makes is deliberate."

   That means exactly what it says. You, the author, should make every choice you make in your writing for a reason. Let your choices build to something and have a definite purpose. You don't necessarily have to reveal that purpose right away, but make sure you know where you're going.

   Another important quote is:

"If you have a gun in the third act, establish it in the first act."

   This quote applies most primarily in the world of cinema, but it's important in writing, too. If an object is important to the plot later in the story, make sure the reader knows that it's there in the beginning. Know where your story is going. I'll get to this a little more in depth later, though.

   So, now I suppose it's time to get down to business and give some advice. Here we go!

I. Worldbuilding

   Worldbuilding is a difficult thing to master, especially if you're writing anything sci-fi or fantasy. The most important thing regarding worldbuilding is that you make the rules, and then you stick to them. And if you do at any point break them, there has to be a good reason why.

Say, for example, that you're designing a world with warring clans. Things you're going to need to know are:

   - Why the clans are fighting

   - What distinguishes one clan from another, and why they've developed differently

Now, that's a short and manageable list. Say, however, that these clans use magic. Everyone loves magic, right? Well, now we're going to have to tack on a few items to this list, and that makes things a bit more complicated. Formulate a few questions you think a reader might have if they read a description stating simply "it's a magical world they live in. Literally." (ps sorry that's cheesy as hell it's all I could think of):

   - how does the magic work?

   - can everyone use the magic, or just certain people?

   - are there limitations on magic use?

Answer these questions, and as you write your story make sure that the guidelines you create are the ones you follow. If you're the one making the rules, there's no reason you aren't following them.

   Even if you aren't writing sci-fi or fantasy, it's important to have a structure. Say you're writing takes place in a school setting. Design what a typical school day is like, and make your characters function around that (I will get to this more, because characterization will also be discussed in this chapter. So, remember this.).