my (many) unpopular kpop opinions

[published 06.24.18]

so this trend has been all over kpop youtube lately and i've been thinking a lot about my own kpop opinions, but i lack the video editing skills necessary to jump on that trend on youtube, so i'm just doing it here.

   so, without further ado, a disclaimer: these are my opinions. you're allowed to disagree with them, and you're allowed to dispute them here; my word is far from law. but if you are going to dispute me, just be respectful! there's nothing wrong with having differing opinions, and seeing both sides of a story can be a really great experience if both sides aren't trying to push their agenda down the other's throat. that being said, here are fifty of my unpopular opinions. some will be elaborated on, some won't; i'm trying to keep this from being too too long. i underlined the numbers of the ones i think are the most controversial lmao. let's go!

1. nct's lightstick is fine
how would you go about designing a lightstick for a group with infinite members and potentially infinite concepts? the only thing all of nct technically has in common is the name, so what else would go on it? it's a cute lightstick, and i want one.

2. cute concepts are great!
this mostly comes from bg stans that don't stan any girl groups because "cute concepts are stupid." i disagree, but i do see to a degree where those people are coming from. a lot of popular ggs are doing cute concepts right now, so it's kind of saturating the market to the point where people might be sick of it. that being said, though, there's nothing wrong with them; generally speaking, they're diverse, fresh, and fun, and great overall.

3. it was hard for me to like go by nct dream
i had to force myself, y'all. it has nothing to do with the concept; good for the dreamies for getting out of the cute concept box (i know, i know, i just talked about how i love cute concepts; i do! i just feel as though dream was forced to do only cute concepts because of their age, rather than landing on them as a group because that's what fits the members best). it's the chorus; it just grates on my ears, dude. it's too high-pitched and it took me such a long time to even start to dig it. even now, it's the title track i listen to the least from the dreamies.

4. the war is exo's best album
don't get me wrong, ex'act is great too, but the war tops it. every song is flawless and musically diverse and beautiful. the only album.

5. ko ko bop >>>>> power
power is sooooooo generic-sounding to me, like i feel like i've heard songs just like it in jcpenny commercials. it's an alright workout song at best for me, i just can't groove to it.

6. the power mv is incredible
anyone who says it's childish and cringy doesn't get the point. it's silly and i like seeing the boys have so much fun when they're usually doing such serious mvs. it's a great change of pace.

7. bangtan just doesn't do it for me anymore
this doesn't have anything to do with their growing fanbase, i swear. i've just lost interest in their music. love yourself really disappointed me, and i genuinely doubt their title tracks will ever top their 2015 comebacks or that their albums will ever top wings. it's not that i don't like the boys anymore, it's just that if i don't like the music they're putting out i don't really feel any obligation to dive in headfirst again. i'll keep checking on their future releases to see if they come out with stuff that's more up my alley, but until then i just won't be getting my fix from them anymore.

8. got7's.... kinda.... eh.
they're just too over the top for my taste, especially bambam. boy needs to tone it down. also, i totally lost interest in their music after fly, although look is alright. they're not a group that i regret not stanning anymore.