Four

I fell asleep very quickly. I'm glad I put the ring in my pocket before I fell asleep. The smell of an inflamed building woke me up. Carol was gone. I got out of the van and grabbed my crossbow. I was limping very badly. I saw Carol walking towards me, knife in hand. She put her knife in her case without saying a word. She motioned for me to give her my crossbow. I handed it to her. She set it in the back seat then helped me in the passenger seat. When she got in I looked at her.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked.

"I didn't need your help," she replied. "I just wanted to see if there were people inside."

"Were there?" I asked.

"No. Just walkers," she said. I looked at her as she started the ignition.

"You seem sad," I said as she started driving off.

"I'm fine," she replied.

"Stop the car," I said. She stopped the car and turned it off. She turned her head and looked at me. I looked out the back window.

I turned back to look at her and said,"Where are the others?"

"I don't know. I lost them," she said.

"Is this why you're sad?" I asked. She started to cry. She wiped her eyes and faced the road. "Why don't I drive?" I asked.

"Alright,"she said as she opened the door. I limped to the driver's side. When she got in I started the ignition.

"It'll be alright," I said. "We'll find them."

"I hope so," she replied.

"You're really close to them aren't you? Especially Toby," I asked.

"No," she said. "Toby kind of follows me like a lost puppy. Me and Blaire became really good friends."

"But you've known them for what? Two weeks?" I asked.

"No. About a month. They were the first ones to take me in," she replied.

"Well it's getting dark. We'd better find a place to stay. That house looks pretty clear," I said pointing at a house.

"Yeah," she replied. I pulled into the driveway. We went to the trunk to grab the sleeping bags, a couple of bottled waters, and some food. I went over to the back seat to grab my crossbow and flashlight. She grabbed her flashlight in the passenger side and we went in. We both turned on our flashlights and pointed our weapons in front of us. I walked to the left into the living room. No walkers. Carol went straight to the kitchen and I followed. There weren't any walkers but there was lots of food. There was a bedroom that was closed. We walked into the room and there was a walker. I shot the walker. I retrieved the arrow while Carol checked the bathroom. When I got my arrow, I went to check the garage. No walkers. Carol opened the back door while I put the dead walker outside. I walked back inside and we pushed the bed in front of the back door. We walked into the living room and moved the couch in front of the front door. Nothing was said as I walked into the kitchen. I found a couple of bottled waters and went back into the living room. I sat down on the couch next to Carol. I handed her the water.

"Thanks," she said as she opened it.

"No problem," I replied just before I took a sip of my own. I got my crossbow that was next to me and leaned it up against the couch, just beside my feet.

"You alright?" I asked.

"Yeah. I'm sort of feeling like I did when you left the prison to be with Merle. I was really sad at first, but then I got over it," she replied.

"You were sad when I left?" I asked suddenly.

"Of course I was," she replied as if I already knew the answer. I could tell she was flirting with me. I wanted to flirt back but I don't know how to. So I just said it.

"Ya know, I was really sad when Rick kicked you out. Gah, I wanted to punch him so hard."

"Really?" She asked with a huge smile on her face.

"Yeah I almost did, but somebody said there was a huge tank outside," I replied. She scooted closer to me, then threw her legs up on the opposite side of the couch. She gently laid her head on my shoulder. I was freaking out inside, I didn't know what to say.

"Goodnight," she said.

I smiled and said, "Goodnight Carol."