Eight

I woke up to the smell of coffee. I haven't smelled that in what seems like forever. I slipped on my shoes and walked to the area where someone had prepared breakfast. Daryl walked in the room.

"It may not be much, but it's a start," he said, smiling.

"Well thank you anyway," I replied. He walked in and sat on the bed. I grabbed the bowl on the counter. I made myself a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee.

"I haven't had coffee in a long time," I said just before I took a sip.

"I've never had coffee," replied Daryl. I looked at him in disbelief.

"What?! You've never had coffee?" I asked.

"No. I guess I've just never had the desire to try it," he replied.

"Please just try some," I said as I shoved the coffe in his face.

"Alright. I'll try it," he replied while giggling. He grabbed the coffee and took a sip. I looked at him with the biggest smile as if I was hinting for him to tell me how it was. He smiled the biggest I've seen him.

"It's good," he said, handing me the mug.

"Good? Coffee is great, mister," I replied, laughing. He laughed as well and got up.

"I'm going to go outside, ya know, and get some air." he said as he opened the door. He smiled and walked out the door. He is so cute, I think to myself. I finish my oatmeal and coffee and went outside. A lot of people were waving at me and saying hello as if everything with the walkers was just a big game. I can't stand these people. I was just minding my own business, until Gareth popped up beside me.

"Hey Carol," he said. He scared me. I almost took out my knife.

"Oh! You startled me," I replied, still walking.

"So how did you sleep last night?" he asked.

"Surprisingly well," I said with a smile. "I actually woke up to coffee this morning."

"Yeah. We try to make everything feel like our old life," he replied. Old life? What is that supposed to mean?

"Well it dosen't feel like my old life at all," I said.

"Oh. I'm sorry. We will try to make your stay more comfortable," he said anxious to sit on the bench beside him. He sat down and I did the same.

"Oh no. It's a good thing that it isn't at all like my old life," I said.

"Why is that?" he asked suspiciously.

"Well let's just say that for once in my life, I don't wake up with fresh bruises on my arm," I replied as if I sounded relieved.

"Fresh bruises?" he asked, confused.

"I had an abusive husband," I replied.

"I'm so sorry," he said. He put his arm around me and pulled me in for a hug. I didn't hug him back. I pulled away gently.

"It's fine. Really," I replied. "I'm gonna go find Daryl," I said as I got up.

"Ok. See you later Carol," he replied. I just ignored him. He was a bit too nice. After he killed those two men, I don't trust him. Well I shouldn't be blaming him, after I killed two of our own. I got lost in my thoughts as I continued walking. I ran into someone and they fell over.

"I'm so sorry," I said as I grabbed their hand. I realized that it was Daryl. I let go of his hand.

"Hey!" he said.

"Sorry. You ain't gettin' up," I replied. He tried to get back up but I pushed him down.

"What? I thought we were friends," he said.

"Sorry. Not now, mister," I laughed.

"What? Why not?" he replied, laughing.

"You're just not getting up," I said. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me down. I landed on top of him.

"Now you're really not getting up," I said putting my hands on his wrists. He got his hands free and turned me on my back. The whole time we were laughing. He put his hands on my wrists and hovered over me.

"Now you ain't getting up," he chuckled. There was a long silence between us. Not the bad kind, but the good kind. I stared into his eyes. I never noticed how blue they were before. He started leaning in. I was freaking out inside. Was Daryl actually gonna kiss me?

"Sorry. Am I interrupting something?" asked Gareth. He was standing right above us.