Fifteen

Carol slowly woke up.

"Good morning," I said to her.

"Mornin," she replied and then rubbed her eyes. "How long was I asleep?"

"For about four hours," I replied.

"Did you sleep?"

"No."

"Why not? You need some sleep."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I just can't," I replied.

"You need to at least try."

"I've tried. Later, I'm going to go find some gas. Want to come with me?"

"Of course."

*

*

*

We walked to a gas station not far from the car. We walked inside, looking for any water or food. Carol went on one aisle and I went to one next to it. I was looking down the aisle and found some food. I crouched down and put it in my bag. I then walked straight ahead and turned to the right. I felt something tugging at my ankle with its teeth.

"AHHHHHH!" I let out a scream. I fell to the ground and saw Carol rushing to my side. I saw her put down the walker, and then everything went black.

*

*

*

I woke up to the smell of fire. I felt a sharp pain go through my leg. I saw Carol with a bloody rag. She was holding it on my ankle, well what used to be my ankle. Someone had chopped my foot off. I saw four other people with her. Two men, one woman , and a child. They then came into focus. It was Toby, Blaire, Matt, and Jeremy. Jeremy was holding tight to Matt. Toby was grabbing a water bottle and walked over to us. Blaire was trying to help Carol. Carol then saw I was awake. Then a sharp pain went the ought my leg.

"AGH!" I winced.

"Shhhh. It's okay. Just calm down," said Carol. She grabbed the water bottle from Toby and told him to take her place. He did as she said. She poured the water over her hands to get the blood off. She gave the water back to Toby and then walked over to my face. She got on her knees and lifted my head up. She brushed my hair out of my eyes and kissed my forehead.

"Shhhh," she whispered. She moved and put my head on her lap. She told me to give her my hand, and I did. I then saw Matt walk over to my ankle with a hot piece of iron. Carol grabbed a clean rag and rolled it up, then put it in my mouth. She started rubbing my head with her free hand.

"Just close your eyes," she said to me as Matt came closer. She tightened her grip on my hand and I felt something hot on my leg. I closed my eyes and bit the rag really hard. The pain went through my whole body. I couldn't stand it anymore. I now know why Carol put the rag in my mouth. I squeezed Carol's hand really tight.

*

*

*

I slowly woke up and saw that everyone was already awake.

"Good morning Daryl," said Carol.

"Morning. What happened?" I asked.

"We had to chop your foot off. A walker bit it," she replied. I looked down at my foot. Nothing. "Toby went to go find you some crutches."

A/N-

Hey guys! I'm sorry for such a short chapter! And I finally updated! Yay!!!! Lol. Please vote and comment! I hope you enjoyed!