Sixteen

I tried to stand, but then realized I had no foot. I sat up and just stared at everyone. They were all busy doing something. Matt was cooking, Jeremy was playing, Blaire and Carol we're cleaning clothes, and I was just sitting there watching them. I then heard a car pull up. I quickly spun around and saw Toby. He turned the ignition off, unbuckled his seatbelt, and got out of the car. He slowly walked to the back of the car. He opened the trunk and grabbed something. Crutches. He brought them over to me and Carol and Matt waked over to me. Carol held the crutches up as Matt and Toby helped me up. They set me on the crutches without saying a word.

"Thanks," I said as I nodded my head. They nodded theirs and walked away. Carol stayed.

"How long did it take?" I asked Carol.

"Hmm?" she hummed.

"To chop off my foot?" I asked.

"About thirty minutes," she said. "We had to hold the rag to your leg for about an hour, and then Toby had an idea to burn your stump."

"Thank you," I said.

"For what?" she asked.

"Saving my life," I replied. "For that I am eternally grateful."

Carol laughed. "Did you just quote Toy Story?" she asked.

"I did, didn't I?" I laughed.

"I just don't know how you're going to kill walkers. It was easy to protect Hershall because we had the prison. Now we don't," she said.

"We'll figure something out," I said as I grimaced at the thought of Hershall. Carol could see my pain.

"I'm sorry. I forgot," she said as she lifted my chin up.

"It's okay. It's easy to forget in a world like this," I replied. "Forget the people. Forget our lives - real lives, not the ones with the walkers in them. Forget the memories of how great this world used to be. It's easy to forget when you're a dead man walking. Especially when you are afraid. Afraid of walkers, but more than anything, afraid of people. Because we forgot how cruel people could be. Sometimes I think these people can do more damage than the walkers." I looked off into the distance, concluding my rant.

Sorry guys it took forever to update! But hey, here's a chapter! Lol. This is basically just a filler chapter, again. I know guys I'm sorry.. I need to just sit down and write like an eight page chapter. But yeah, so I'm sorry to end in a sort of cliff hanger. So tell me what you thought of Daryl's speech!

Please vote, comment what you thought of this chapter, and follow me for more!

Love y'all!