chapter 1

phil's pov

"a soulmate is not the same as a lover. a soulmate is your better half, the piece that makes you whole, the one you can't live without. a lover is merely a potential partner, not necessarily someone vital to your existence."

tyler rolls his eyes at me. "can you not? we have to leave in like 5 minutes if we want to be on time, and i'm not interested in hearing you lecture me."

i shrug unhappily and cross my arms over my chest. for the past hour i have been trying, and failing, to convince tyler that even though he likes troye, that doesn't mean they are "meant for each other." i am also upset because i don't want to go to troye's party tonight. it's not that i don't like parties, i actually don't mind them that much. watching people get extremely drunk is hilariously entertaining.

however, troye is very popular, in fact he is the most well known guy in our school. which means there will probably be tons of people, and i know for a fact that tyler will ditch me.

i frown at my lilac-haired friend. "i don't want to be there on time," i whine in response to his comment. "in fact, i don't want to be there at all."

tyler sticks his bottom lip out forming a sad pout, similar to a blobfish. "but you promised! and you have to help me get troye's attention," he says cheekily with a playful wink.

now it's my turn to roll my eyes. "it's not going to happen, okay? need i remind you that he has a boyfriend?"

tyler smiles confidently. "boyfriend? he won't even remember his boyfriend's name after he gets a look at me tonight."

i shake my head, laughing at how self-assured he is, and we head out the door.

it smells really awful in here. it's as if someone made a concoction of rotting corpses and axe deodorant. in reality though, it's actually the strong scent of sweat and alcohol.

basically the same thing.

i watch as tyler stands very close to troye, much to his boyfriend's displeasure. they're surrounded by tons of people, all categorised as "popular" in our school. a stupid label that only results in the lowering of people's self esteem.

tyler makes an effort to laugh at all of troye's sly comments while casting flirty smiles, and it appears that troye is enjoying the attention. i laugh to myself and a girl nearby gives me a weird stare. oh well, she probably won't remember most of this night by tomorrow morning. i doubt anybody in this room will. i don't see one sober person, besides myself.

"phil!" a familiar voice calls from across the room. i look up and lock eyes with a giggling tyler. he waves me over enthusiastically, an arm slung around troye's shoulder. it's obvious that he's quite drunk, though it really isn't that far off from his usual behaviour. he looks happy though, so i don't say anything as i approach.

troye speaks first. "hi, i'm troye. and that's my boyfriend, dan," he says pointing somewhere behind me.

i nod, we've all met before but i don't mention it. it's probably because he's had an excessive amount of alcohol, but it could also be that we've only had like one conversation the entire time we've known each other.

i'm not exactly a social person, i only have a couple friends. tyler is my closest friend though. we met in our first year of high school. and now, we're luckily still friends in our fourth year.