chapter 16

tyler's pov

the morning is mellow. it's cool, with a crisp breeze flowing through the open sky. it's a grey hue, with dots of purple colouring the edges of clouds. sighing, i drag my feet on the pavement. i absorb the sounds of gravel crunching beneath my feet. the day seems morose, like their best friend had just announced that they're moving away, or that their crush just got back together with an ex. maybe that's just me projecting though.

the air is thick, making it harder to breathe. i suppose the anxiety i'm experiencing is affecting that as well. that's okay though, all the guilt and torture is worth it. i'm going to get troye back, but first i have to get rid of dan. not hurt him per say, but at least scare him enough that he'll move far away. i can't risk him still being near troye, he'd jeopardise my plans and make the entire process a million times more difficult.

i grab my phone and hastily dial phil's number, one that i wish i called more often. we've definitely drifted apart. it rings a few times before he picks up. his voice is slightly weak, but overall happy sounding.

"what's up?" phil mumbles, and i can hear giggles behind him.

"wait, what are you doing?" he's not alone. he's with a boy. a boy that sounds very familiar.

"nothing," he pauses to laugh and whisper to whoever it is. "shh quiet! that tickles! sorry tyler, what were you saying?"

"um, i was wondering if you could help me. i have a new plan to get rid of dan and win back troye."

the line goes deadly silent. no talking, no giggling, there's not even the quiet sound of phil's breathy contemplation. i wait a moment, hoping i'll hear something, and ultimately i do. "leave dan alone. he's a lovely person and doesn't deserve this. try talking to troye, and please leave dan and i out of this."

he hangs up quickly, avoiding any further conversation. it's unsettling, how quick he was to come to dan's defence. it's almost as if phil has completed his task. maybe he really has gotten dan out of the picture, creating a perfect time for my renewal in troye's life. change of plan then. i waste no time, i grab my keys and wallet and throw myself out the door and into my car. i'm speeding to his house with nothing but some luck and a small tinge of joy.

i ring the doorbell courageously, pushing the button repeatedly until the door opens. when i finally see those beautiful blue eyes i jump into his arms, wrapping my own around his lean torso. "troye!" i exclaim. "we can finally be together, and happily!"

"what are you talking about?"

i smile, squeezing him tighter. "dan and phil," i smirk. "they're together now."

he pulls away suddenly, eyes growing hard. "what do you mean?"

i whimper, stepping towards him. he puts a hand up and steps back. "why are you doing this? aren't you happy?"

he shakes his head, sighing and wrapping strands of hair around his fingers. the dim light glows across his face and our breaths echo in the silence. i shift from foot to foot uncomfortably, hoping he'll say something.

"dan is my boyfriend. that's the way it's supposed to be. you're just a small hiccup in my timeline. you need to go."

the words are quick, making them even more harsh. like he doesn't have even a second to waste on me.

"but troye? we're supposed to be endgame," i mumble gesturing between us frantically, hoping to apply some sense.

"fuck that," he laughs. "you were just a little side game, you know? a trial, i tried you on to see if you fit better. you made me realise how much i really love dan."

with that, he closes the door, leaving me to sob on his doorstep and hope the world will cave in. it was all a mistake. while is it all so complicated?

dan's pov

"who was that?" i say nonchalantly.

he gives me a look before setting his phone back down. "it was tyler again. he needs a ride home, he says he's too upset to drive."

i smile, turning my head to the side in a childish confusion. "oh? why would he call you then?"

"because i'm the only person he has to call," phil mumbles, staring at the ground.

"but what about troye?" my voice falters at his name. "why doesn't he ask him."

phil looks up slowly, tears glisten on his cheeks as he mumbles something to himself. "dan, i've been stupid. i thought i actually had a chance."

now real confusion bubbles up in my chest. yet, i almost feel like i understand. i don't want to though. "a chance at what?" i whisper, grabbing a hold of his stiff arm.

"with you," he smiles, letting more tears fall freely. "but you're with troye, and apparently, troye only loves you."

joy pauses on my features as i jump up, maybe a little too excitedly. "he does?"

phil shakes his head and stands. "fuck this. go be happy."

i reach out and touch his shoulder but he shrugs me off. "wait phil," i mumble. "i'm sorry, i didn't mean,"

he slams the door shut behind him.

a/n hi it's been a while. i'm sorry about that. i haven't been very inspired to write this story. it sort of feels like i'm going in circles.

my depression has been pretty bad too. i don't want to sound like i'm asking for attention, i just want to be honest about why i was gone.

leave some funny stories about you in the comments to cheer me up! i'll try and update when i have time.

thanks, love you.