Chapter 7- "Long Ride"

Nico's POV:

"I'm going with the boy. I have to help him find his mum. I'll catch up with you guys later." As soon as those words left Destiny's lips fearlessly, a flashback from my talk with Chiron replayed in my mind.

"Don't leave her side. Keep her safe."

"I'm coming, too." I announced determinedly, waiting for her disapproval. It wasn't like I would ask for her permission, I was stating a fact.

But she didn't look angry or disagreed like I thought she was going to be. She was more like shocked, not sure if it was in a bad or a good way to be honest. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty logical for her to be surprised that me, "the player" and "the douche", suddenly cared about her.

With a simple "Okay." she passed by me with confidence and followed the path, not even glancing at the rest of us.

I turned around and followed her while shaking my head at her, a ghost of a smile tagged on my lips. The way she was playing hard to get was almost irresistible.

The boy kept pointing at different directions and exclaiming "That way!" before following the path he had just pointed at. I hoped I wasn't the only one who was wondering how the hell he knew which way we should follow so surely. I mean, how was he lost if he knew the freakin way?

And just like that, a few beats later he suddenly stopped and turned to look at us with a mischievous smirk on his face.

"You know...you should consider the power of the mist more. It makes you so much easier to be lied to." These words were coming out of his mouth while his black hair started turning into snakes.

There was a small pause before he added "I think it's pretty obvious that my mother was never lost. She was killed by someone of your kind. Percy Jackson. Now, I shall take revenge for her sake, and prevent you from succeeding at your stupid quest. Oh, and don't worry in case I'm not successful, more monsters are yet to come."

And without another word he took his glasses of. Destiny seemed zoned out, probably from the shock. I couldn't just let her like that, I had to do something.

I shouted "Destiny don't look at him!" and without hesitation I pushed her out of the monster's sight.

He both leaned behind a tree each, one very close to each other one. It was until several seconds later when I heard the sound of snakes hissing coming from Destiny's side.

Blood froze in my veins and my heart started beating faster at the thought of Destiny getting hurt. Wait, why was I so worried? Why did I care so much for her? I had no idea but what I did know was that I wanted her to be safe more than anything and I would do anything to do that.

I glanced at her direction and viewed her. She had her beautiful kaleidoscope eyes closed and took a slight step back as soon as she realized the creature was next to her.

Having her eyes closed didn't help her as she didn't notice the rock that caused her to fall on the ground, giving the monster the opportunity to pin her to the ground.

"Come on, open your eyes, they are pretty, too, aren't they? What do they call them? Kaleidoscope?"

That was it. That was my cue to teach that little kid a lesson.