Chapter 21- "Smoking kills"

Destiny's POV:

I was sitting on the ground, my head resting on a tree when Lucas walked out of Anna's tent, he looked so tense! His body was arched with anger but his face wasn't at all angry, he looked as if he was in deep thought.

He gave me a quick nod and said to Nico who was resting a little further up "I'm going on a walk" and with that he disappeared.

Something was definitely bothering him and I'm pretty sure it had to do with Anna.

I felt someone sit down next to me and I immediately tensed up knowing it was Nico since Tyler and Nathan went to rest for the big day tomorrow.

I suddenly got worried as I remembered our mission and the stakes it had. That must have shown on my face.

"Why so anxious? You know I don't bite" he said in a hushed voice.

I turned to face him trying my best to keep an emotionless face.

"Why so arrogant? You know I won't fall for it." I said confidently but then his dark eyes met mine and reminded me just how fucked I was.

"Chill.. I'm just trying to cheer you up you" his smirk faded into a blank stare as if he wasn't interested in the conversation anymore.

I give up.

"No Nico, you're just trying to keep yourself entertained" I said rolling my eyes and standing to leave.

He stood up quickly and grabbed my wrist with force. I spun around and he opened his mouth as if to speak but closed it again quickly his gaze turning cold again as he let go of my wrist and leaned against the tree.

I walked towards my tent, checked my bag to make sure I had packed everything and lied down allowing my mind to think properly think about Nico and his inconsistency.

The kiss on that rooftop and how passionate it was and then when he told me straight to my face I was just a toy to him but then what he said during Eris's trial and they way his touch lingered and now this?! Mixed signals.. I can't believe that I'm even trying to decode his actions! What is wrong with me.. I really should know better. He's a player, a fuckboy end of story. He's a cocky prick that doesn't know how to feel.

Suddenly I felt the need to breathe some fresh air, it was pitch black outside and the full moon illuminated the empty woods.

I could see Nico sitting on a branch, his back up against the trunk with a cigarette between his lips.

"Smoking kills" he looked down at me almost taken by surprise and gave me a wicked smile.

"So I heard" he says monotonously jumping off the tree.

"Well give me one then." I said rather demandingly catching a sparkle in his eyes

"I thought it was dangerous" he said rather intrigued his eyes burning into mine. I lowered my gaze before raising it again to match his intensity

"I like dangerous" I whispered leaning in closer to him, taking the cigarette out of his mouth and turning on my heels. 

As I walked away I could feel his gaze clawing at my skin so I gave him a quick glance and a proud smirk before entering my tent again. If he wants to play we can play I thought to myself and smiled as I remembered his dumbfounded expression.

Hours had passed since I had laid down but once again my unforgiving brain was way ahead of my body. It was racing at an unbelievable speed analyzing every possible scenario and possibility for the task of figuring out Nico Di Angelo was endlessly fueling my insomnia.