Chapter 23- "Wolf Bites"

Destiny's POV:

"How many days have we got left?" I could hear Tyler whining from behind.

Anna nudged my arm as she flipped the map upside down and counted the numbers written on the piece of paper.

"Ten." She answered firmly.

"Do you keep everything on that map?" I furrowed my brow in disbelief.

"It's...practical." She shrugged.

"I bet it is." I heard Nathan teasing her with a smirk.

"I bet 10 backs she has all of our personal information in there." Nico joined in.

"Not just ours, the whole camp's!" I couldn't help but give in to the teasing.

"Okay okay that's enough." Lucas ordered us and placed his arm over Anna's shoulder. "Merry Poppins and her bag will be jealous." He finished and Anna's elbow met his stomach and the little spark of hope disappeared.

"Guys stop making fun of my map!" She exclaimed, but soon enough her mouth split into a grin and later a laugh.

Bubbles of laugher started to creep in my throat before it spilled out. Soon enough everybody cracked up and for the first time it felt like we were part of a team and not a battle field.

Tyler and Nathan were being the adorable couple that everyone loves, with their happy, pure laughers warming our hearts. On the other side I could see Anna and Lucas finally stopped fighting and instead glanced at each other, when no one would notice and Nico-

Wait, where was Nico?

My question was answered right away when I titled my head to the left and glazed at Nico. A genuine smile lighted up his face like I've never seen before.

I looked at his smile and all I could think of was 'oh shit'.

I mean, sure his typical smirk although annoying did suit him, but that smile showed another Nico. When I became aware that his head was turning towards me my sight snapped to another direction.

Was he staring at me? I think he was... No he wasn't. I mean why would he? Oh fuck it I don't care.

I shifted my gaze back to him and our eyes locked. We didn't say anything. We just stared at each other as if it was the last time he would be seeing me. As if he wanted to carve me in his memories for the days to come.

And suddenly I wanted to touch him. Not a friendly hug or a shove but gently place my hands around his neck. Kiss him. Feel my waist against his. For the love of Hades Destiny, pull yourself together.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Me and Nico asked at the same time, our heads turning in sync to Tyler.

"I think it came from the bushes." Nathan agreed.

"Are you waiting for whatever that is to attack us first?" Lucas asked in an it's-so-obvious tone as he moved towards the bushes.

However he suddenly stopped and instinctively took a step back. I was terrified to view a wolf like man emerging from the bushes.

"Lycaon?" Nathan murmured under his breath.

"Who's that?" I asked. I was tired of being clueless.

"That would be me." The so called lycaon replied. His cocky and confident aura was hardly ignored as he went on. "God of the wolfs, son of Pelasgus and Meliboea and your enemy."

Wow just my luck.

"So you bet so hard on yourself that you came here alone to face six demigods?"

Oups. That would be me. Yup, I shouldn't have said that. I definitely shouldn't have.

By the time I finished the definition of mistake in a sentence Nico looked uneasy and Anna bit her lip worriedly. Needless to say, I should have kept my mouth shut.

"No, although I do bet hard on myself, it is not my job to take care of you."

Uh oh.

"It's theirs."

And just like that a dozen of white wolfs emerged from the deep forest just like he did a minute ago.

This was no good. No good at all. As a little gasp escaped from my lips and Nico took small step in front of me, shielding the left side of my body.

Did he do that subliminally? Was it on purpose or was it by accident? Oh come on Destiny really? Even when a pack of white freaking wolfs are ready to eat you and your friends alive that's what your thinking about? Pathetic really.

After I was done with accusing myself for being so desperate when it comes to the certain boy I realised that Lycaon was gone and it was time for our real enemies to take action. Before I knew I had already placed my sword in my left hand ready to fight.

From the corner of my eye I noticed that our team was subconsciously decided into three pairs; Nathan with Tyler, Anna with Lucas... And Nico and l. Why did we always end up like this? I guess I had to deal with him being my other half. On the quest.

Four wolfs attacked us at the same time. In case you suck at math that's two wolfs o'er person. As if one wolf wasn't enough.

"Stand behind me. I'll deal with them." Nico instructed me.

Like that was going to happen.

"Nico, we can't afford neither your egoism nor your underestimations. I can't do it just fine."

And surprisingly, I did. With just a couple of swings of my sword I managed to slush the throat of one of the wolfs. That however cost me a valuable amount of time dealing with the other one and before I registered anything the second one was coming right at me. My legs felt sore and a lump rose in my throat. Although I could see the wolf inches apart from my face I couldn't send the massage to my body to move.

That's when I felt a strong force pushing me out of the way. And then a loud scream. And a body on the ground. An awfully familiar one. Nico's. His leg was bitten and that wasn't just it. The wolf was ready to finish him. If I was more than a second late the son of Hades would have made a long visit to his father that's for sure.

Luckily I wasn't. My priceless sword had found it's way to the animal's stomach and through it. I kneeled beside him unaware of what was happening at that moment. Were the enemies defeated? I didn't care, not even in the slightest. I put pressure on his leg to stop the bleeding and prayed to the Gods.

"Nico stay with me, okay?" I was trying to calm him down but soon realised the only person I was trying to calm down was myself. But I completely failed when his eyes started closing.

"Shit, what happened here?" Nathan asked as he ran his way to me and the half dead boy along with the others. Some of them had slight scratches but none of them compered to Nico's.

Nathan felt his pulse after he wrapped a band aid around Nico's injured leg.

"Will he be alright?" Was all I could manage to form from my own lips.

••••••••••••

A/N: Dun dun dun! I love cliffhangers don't hate me😂 Will Nico die or will he survive? Stick around until chapter 24!! Until then lots of  love xx