01

Vega Delacour bounced around her bedroom, grabbing clothes from drawers and folding them before putting them in a trunk.

"How about this one, Vega?" Vega looked up at her cousin. Fleur was flopped on Vega's bed, holding out a jumper. Vega debated if she should take it or not. It was a nice jumper, but didn't she have enough?

"Fleur, how much clothes do I need to bring?" Vega whined. Fleur shook her head and folded the jumper, placing it in Vega's trunk. Once the two were finished packing Vega's clothes into her trunk, they flopped back onto her bed.

"Fleur?" Vega gazed up at her ceiling, looking over all the intricate designs and pictures that she had painted there over her childhood. Fleur hummed. "Why do you have to go to Beauxbatons? Why can't you just go to Hogwarts with me? Or why can't I go with you?"

"I don't know. I wish we could be in the same school." Fleur sighed.

"Girls! Time to go!" Vega and Fleur shared a glance and the two walked down to Vega's waiting mother.

"Vega, do you remember how you really liked Fleur's wand?" Vega's mother asked.

"Yes, the one with Grandma's hair?" her mother's face split into an even bigger smile.

"That's the one." She took Vega's hands in hers. "You are going to be getting one just like it!" Vega retracted her hand from her mother's and covered her mouth in shock. She turned to Fleur, who looked equally as surprised. "Now, this is a very special privilege. Wands with Veela hair are rare, but two Veela hair wands with hair from the same Veela is extremely rare. Now let's go."

"Okay!" Vega chirped. She was excited to go to Diagon Alley, for once in her life. The family used Floo Powder and arrived at Diagon Alley.

"Get ready." Fleur whispered. Vega suddenly remembered about their situation. They fell in step together, immediately becoming aware of stares from boys. One stepped into their path.

"Hello, beautifuls." He stepped closer. Vega rolled her eyes and elbowed him harshly. The Delacours continued on, getting what they needed. Vega's mother paraded the two around like trophies. She was proud of her daughter's beauty, but sometimes it got too much.

Vega's mother had engaged in a conversation with another lady that seemed to be equivalent in age.

"Oh, yes, my daughter is very beautiful!" Vega's jaw clenched as two more ladies seemed to join the conversation, bringing with them unwanted attention from boys. Fleur stood patiently by her aunt's side and Vega slipped away from the growing crowd. She walked away and found herself in front of a little shop called Flourish and Blott's. There was a boy there, staring at all the items inside. He had a little thing with him that he used by aiming it at the inside of the shop. A flash of light would go off and he would smile. He had yet to notice her.

Not wanting to disturb his happiness, Vega walked away. She returned to the crowd. It was even larger now. She pushed her way to the front where her mother was happily chatting away.

"Oh, yes, my mother was full Veela!"

"Mother!" Vega snapped. Her mother just seemed to notice her.

"And this is my only daughter, she's quite a beauty-"

Unlike Fleur, Vega was half-Veela. Half-Veelas can have the abilities of pure Veelas, as the large crowd was about to find out. Her mother was cut off as Vega's face started to transform to that of a cruel-beaked bird. Long, scaly wings burst from her shoulders, and fire began to collect in the palm of her hand. Her mother knew she had taken it too far.

Fleur and Vega grabbed onto an arm of the older woman and they disapparated back to their house. When they got there, Vega's face was back to normal and the fire had disappeared from her hands. Her mother turned around slowly, holding her head.

"Go to your room." She said in defeat and the two girls ran up to Vega's room. Once the door was shut, Fleur started giggling.

I love it when you do that! Do it again!" Vega stood in the middle of her room, a smile creeping on her face.

"It only happens when I'm really angry, Fleur." Fleur huffed, sitting on to the end of the bed.

I know, but it was worth a try. Can't you just think of your mom?" Vega rolled her eyes. Fleur continued. "Please try. We're leaving for school soon and I want to see it one more time!" Vega sighed.

"Fine, Fleur. Only for you. Now get over there." Vega directed Fleur to the corner of the room, where she crouched behind a wooden desk. She didn't want her cousin to get hurt. "Ready?"

Vega closed her eyes and concentrated her thoughts on her mother. She opened them again.

"It's not working." Fleur announced.

"Thank you Fleur, I didn't notice!" Vega snapped. Fleur giggled and Vega closed her eyes, trying to find something, anything, that would make her angry. She was suddenly pulled into a memory.

The door bell rang and Vega's mother shooed her away. Vega sat on the stairs, humming to herself. Her mother greeted her guest and ushered her into the kitchen. Once she was sure she was clear, Vega crawled over to the kitchen, trying to eavesdrop.

"Vega is a beautiful girl, Gabrielle." Her mother's friend commented, sipping tea.

"Thank you, Rosemary. She's just like me."

"Do you love her?" Rosemary asked.

"I love her beauty." Gabrielle replied, giggling.

"But do you love her?" Rosemary persisted.

"No." Gabrielle replied, then the two women giggled. Vega gasped. Her mother looked up in alarm and charged over to Vega's hiding spot.

"You little rat!" She hissed and she struck Vega, sending her sprawling.

Vega suddenly came to her senses as she hurled fire at the door. A tear rolled down her cheek as she hurled another. She threw fire until her anger was reduced to sadness. Fleur got up from the desk.

"That was amazing, Vega!" She cheered. The undamaged door opened and her mother stepped into the room.

"What's going on?" She snapped. Vega began to transform again and her mother took her leave.

The two girls giggled.

"Good thing we have those protection spells on all my things."

Have a wonderful day!
Love, Hannah <3