Chapter 10: Unlucky construction

Kylie walked by my side as I pushed the heavy weight of my motor cycle from the hositpal car park. Once I had reached the flat surface of Gotham city roads my lungs and muscles could rest. The dry cold air of Gotham city engulfed us, the loud pounding sound of voices and screeching cars filled the air. Kylie nodded to the Gotham police officer keeping watch but his eyes stayed glued to the streets around us, as soon as we stepped foot out we weren't his problem.

No more 'protection'

After a short walk in the city's odd nightly silence of the backroads of Gotham me and Kylie slowly approached a towering Wayne enterprise construction sight which was shrouded in the complete darkness of the night. A weak makeshift wooden fence hid the ground works of the construction sight, Kylie and I walked slowly side by side, my motorbike weighing our pace down. Silenece built up between us once again.

"Is your car still in the shop?" I asked as I flicked a lose luck of my hair back from my face. My voice breaking the silence between us. Kylie nodded, a glum expression on her face, her lower lip sticking out slightly.
"Yeah. Which means I stuck walking and I can't pick Cameron up when he visits." She groaned. My bike could barely fit on the side walk as the oddly quiet road as we walked passed the boarded up construction sight. The Wayne enterprise logos plastered over the side suggested that he was building some unneeded skyscraper.
"How's he doing by the way?" I asked.
"Not bad." She answered simply. I couldn't blame her for her short replies, I haven't particularly talked to Cameron for over a year. Ever since the incident 2 years ago I couldn't find myself seeing anyone....espically Cameron.

I sighed as I realised me and Kylie were once again silent, our tired brains restricting our communication.
"You don't have to walk with me you know." Kylie said finally. I rolled my eyes up to heaven, she was acting like a broken record at this point.
"You seriously think I let you walk by yourself? As if."
"I just feel bad about you walking with me."
"I will punch you if you don't shut up about it."
"Sorry."
I glance down at the heavy weight of my ageing motorcycle before speaking again. "I could give you a ride you know? It wouldn't take long." I offered. A smirk quickly rose and fell on her thin lips.
"It's a death machine with wheels, I'll pass thanks."
I chuckled while Kylie tired and failed to hide her smirk. "It's not that bad." I protested.
"Hmm, I'd rather-" She cut her self off, her body pausing for a moment. Her happy voice frozen with the silence. It took a second to notice as I had pushed the bike a few paces in front of her. I frowned as a frozen paniced expression lingered on her face, her eyes wide as they stared dead ahead.
"Kylie? what's up?" I asked as I straightened my spine, my fingers still tightly gripping my bike.
"That van..." She said quietly, her voice like a whisper. My gaze turned to where hers were locked, a rusted dark purple van sat at the end of the road. The faint sound of circus music playing off in the background, a shiver quickly ran down my spine. Squinting my eyes through the darkness, the corners of bright neon spray paint caught my eyes.
"You don't think..." She began, I didn't need her to finish the sentence for me to know who she was talking about
I cursed, my hands instantly removing the seat. Pulling my spare helmet out, I accidently slammed it into Kylie's slim waist. My eyes not taken off the van. Forgetting my own helmet I straddled my bike, "Get on." I ordered. Before she could even mutter a protest "Now." I snapped in a low growl. Still paniced she clumsily slid the helmet on as i began to prepare my bike, her slim fingers fiddling with the chin strap nervously. Turning the keys the motorbike quickly, Kylie coiled her arms around my skinny waist. I could feel her fear filled grip as my leather jacket tightened and bunched in her palms. Quickly pushing us off the pavement, i used the wheel of my boot to turn us away from the van.
Before I could get Kylie out of here a second, identical van slowly rounded the corner, my heart sunk to my stomach. Two vans were trapping us in place.