>>EIGHT <<

CHAPTER EIGHT || INFECTED

______                                                 

______                                                 

"WHERE'S LYDIA?"

Malia's bluntness is usually accompanied exclusively by her elusiveness and stealth. Stiles has told me numerous times that "it's progress" and considering she's lived in the woods for eight years, I find that believable.

That doesn't mean I'll get used to it.

"She's took it her freshman year." I answer patiently, and the girl nods, a hopeful glint in her eyes as she asks me another query.

"Does that mean I could take it some other time?" she pleads, the want so prominent in her brown eyes, I tilted my head sympathetically with my answer.

"I don't think it works that way, Mal."

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us."Stiles assures her, and she snorts at her boyfriend, arms crossed, eyebrows raised.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good." she points out.

"Well." I correct under my breath, but with her heightened senses, Malia hears the word.

"Well, what?" she demands, confusion seeping into her otherwise blank features.

I'm suddenly all too aware that all eyes were on me, and begin to feel like a jerk.

"It's do well, not good."I mumble sheepishly, and the coyote throws her arms up to the ceiling, an exasperated look adorning her face.

"Oh, God!" she moans, and I wince.

"Okay, okay." Stiles holds a placating hand to the coyote. "You're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live."

I hold my fist out to the human, who promptly bumps it. "Amen."

"If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college." Scott interjects, reclining his back on the locker next to me, reaching a hand out to entwine with mine.  "A good college."

"It's only three hours." Kira exclaims optimistically.  "We can survive three hours."

_____

We can not survive three hours.

It became pretty clear when the CDC (Center for Disease Control) arrived that whatever Sydney had contracted during the test was something more than a nervous rash.

It wasn't long until the CDC began taking blood from students in order to not only depict who has the virus, but what it is and if there are multiple strains of it.