||5.05.4||

MY FINGERS WERE SHAKING, AND STILL COATED WITH BLOOD as I attempted to peel open the antiseptic wipe from our almost outdated first aid kit, kneeling on the carpet in front of Liam where he sat silently on the bed.

Claire was half-alpha, having gained half of our father's power when she killed him, and our wounds would heal quickly, but slower than usual because of that. Not to mention she somehow got her hands on a couple of needles of wolfsbane and poisoned us, just another factor to my suspicion that she'd been planning this attack for a long time.

All of the time she spent befriending me at school, talking to my pack and my brother, showing up where I was to comfort me when I was distressed- it was all part of her scheme to kill me, and my mother and Liam were caught in the crossfire.

Liam was hurt, and most likely traumatized (which, really, I get) but he's alive, and I repeat it like a mantra in my head as I worked to clean him up.

The Sheriff and Scott and Stiles were downstairs, attempting to cover this mess as best they could, and Liam and I were ordered to clean ourselves up as best as we could, in an attempt to pretend we weren't present for the confrontation. I didn't ask questions, just helped my grieving, sniffling brother up the stairs, and followed orders.

I tried not to ponder the fact that I'm an alpha now and Scott had seen, and hasn't looked me directly in the eye since, focusing on getting this stupid wipe open, so I could clean Liam's wounds and take care of him like I always do. Take care of Liam.

I hadn't even noticed I was crying until the first few tears fell on my fumbling fingers, and I barely cared because this tiny insignificant wipe won't open. I can't get it open, and I can't help Liam without it, and the thought made me cry harder as I twisted and pulled at the package until another hand came and gently pulled the pack away, grabbing my hands with one of his own.

I looked up at my younger brother, who was surprisingly calm as he ripped open the package with his teeth, keeping one hand entwined with mine as he used the wipe to clean the blood crusted on my forehead and in my hair from where Claire slammed it multiple times.

Liam didn't say a word, or let go of my hand as he cleaned up my face, neck, wrists and hands, completely erasing all traces of blood with gentle care, like I would do for him.

Liam didn't care that I was crying all over him, snot and tears and everything- a real hot mess- and he didn't care that he was taking care of me even though I'm the older sister and I should be taking care of him- it should be the other way around, and after he was done, he pulled me into a hug, where we stayed for a long time until my chest wasn't burning, the air wasn't stagnant, my lungs weren't shrinking, and I didn't feel like everything around me was tumbling to ruins.

Until I could finally piece myself together, because despite his calamity, Liam still needed his big sister especially because we're all that the other has now.

"We're orphans." Escaped my mouth, and I wanted to take it back as Liam's face crumpled as if he were about to cry, but he took a breath and composed himself before shrugging with a shaky smile.

"It's not the first time." he mumbled softly, referencing to all of the years between the time our father left and our mother was a distant mess, to the time she met Justin and we weren't quite alone but close enough. To the time it was just me and Liam, until it was just Liam and just me.

It was enough to remind me where I stood, and that I couldn't be broken for long at least not right now when the Sheriff, Stiles and Scott were no doubt waiting downstairs, and Liam was still hurt and bloody in front of me, vulnerable.

So I started small. I opened another antiseptic wipe packet, and then I began to take care of my little brother.

_____