6.15

"WE'VE GOT TWO BODIES COVERED in slash marks.

"They confessed to killing two people." The sheriff explains, arms crossed behind his desk with the five of us fanned out around him.

"Hunters." Scott points out, and the Sheriff squints at him.

"People, Scott." he corrects, shaking his head. "Self-defense or not, they're still here, the other guys are dead. And there's a process I have to follow."

Lydia motions discreetly to the Sheriff as if proving her point, and I shake my head at her, elbowing her lightly, maybe holding back a smile.

"Yeah, but you know what's happening around here." Scott points out, and I finish his thought.

"It's not safe for them." I pull out the big pleading blue eyes, and Liam rolls his own from where he stood next to me, causing me to elbow him as well.

"This may actually be the safest place for them in Beacon Hills." The sheriff points out, undeterred. "At least I can protect them here."

"Would Stiles think that? Especially if one of your deputies is working for Gerard?" Lydia gets right to the point she's been trying to make.

"I'm not buying that." At our five identical, 'Oh come on' looks, he continues, shaking his head. "I know these deputies like the back of my hand. I know their families, their kids, their brothers and sisters. I know who they are and I trust them."

"You know who they were." Liam corrects. "There's something out there. Everyone's afraid, and it's getting worse."

"Yeah, you can't protect two werewolves from hunters if they're already on the inside." I agree, and the Sheriff purses his lips before looking to where Quinn sat behind us, and Liam and I part to give Sheriff a clear view of her, watching as his face softens.

"It's Quinn, right?" At her nod, he continues. "You're sure it was a deputy who shot you? Absolutely, 100% sure?"

Quinn shrugs, repeating her story for the hundredth time. "I saw flashing lights. A police car. I saw a badge, a gun, and then they shot me." Her blue eyes flick up to him as she deadpans, "They shot me in the head and that's all that I remember."

The Sheriff shrugs, breathing deeply. "There are a couple holes in her story"

"Maybe because there's a hole in her head." Lydia snaps back, and I elbow her again, covering a snort.

Malia on the other hand, straight up chuckles, and we all turn to her. She grows serious, quick, and looks down, shamefully. "I'm sorry."

I grin at her before the turning to the Sheriff, immediately composing myself. "Sheriff, we need to get Jiang and Tierney out of here before anyone realizes that they're here."

He narrows his eyes. "And take them where? I can't let them go."

"But if you keep them here they're-"

The Sheriff holds his hand up, like he always did when Stiles began a rant, and it made me miss him. "Look, if there's a problem-"

An explosion sounds then, and I meet Scott's eyes, my own wide.

"Something like that?" I ask quietly, and Lydia elbows me, biting her lip to hide her grin.

______

"We have to get out of here." Malia had been a little off since the Sheriff went out to confront Monroe and the hunters. They had us surrounded, with weapons, and were obviously here for Jiang and Tierney.