prologue

| FOR HOPE, FOR FAMILY:PROLOGUE |

PROLOGUE |

"IS THIS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY?" Freya asked as her siblings fed on the blood of a dozen or two prisoners. Freya and Rhea had been awakened and successfully made a cure for Kol and Elijah, but there was only enough for one each— they needed more in case Marcel were to sink his teeth into them again.

"Do you want them to be at their full strength or do you want to try and rescue Nik with just the two of us?" Rhea asked with a raised brow.

"Well, death rattles are distracting and I'm trying to break a cloaking spell," Freya replied before mumbling under her breath, "Alone."

"I'm enjoying the sun." Rhea patronised as she lay on a fallen tree branch, her hands behind her head.

A loud scream echoed throughout their surroundings, Rhea chuckled, there was no holding Kol back.

"Kol, would you please?!" Elijah shouted to his brother, the screaming stopped only seconds after, "Thank you. You were saying?" Elijah turned to Freya.

Freya shrugged, "I don't have a lot to go on, I think Klaus is still in New Orleans."

Rhea sighed, standing up as Kol joined them once again, "He's still in New Orleans and he's underground somewhere. The only way I'll be able to tell exactly where, is if we're in the city itself," she threw Freya a smug look, "You should get some sun, really helps clear up your senses."

"Yeah, that's gonna be a problem. I have contacts in New Orleans, As you can imagine, the place is crawling with vampires, all of whom hate all of us. Whatever we do, we need to do it fast." Hayley informed them, deflating them all slightly.

"Well, I wasn't planning on a pub crawl. I don't want to stay any longer than we have to. But we need to go." Freya replied, she just wanted Niklaus out of there for her family to be truly safe.

"Whoah, wait... wait, we're not doing this today?" Kol questioned, his brows knitting together in confusion.

Rebekah looked to her brother, "Hasn't Nik suffered enough?"

"Yes. And I've died. Twice. I'm not about to give Marcel a shot at a third. Now, I say, we draw that muppet out of town. And when he's gone.." Kol trailed off, leaving his siblings to catch his drift.

"I have been away from my daughter long enough. If you're afraid..." Hayley started, Rhea could sense the tension rising so she stepped in.

"Kol is being sensible, for once in his life. Until Freya and I can make enough cure with our werewolf hostage, Marcel is free to chew through their throats and not give a damn about the consequences. On the other hand, we're all in danger anyway," she looked around at them all, "So even if we have to burn that city to the ground, we free Klaus today and get the hell away from here."