Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"I told you partying really isn't my thing. Why do you always try to make me go to one?" I huffed, as I crossed my arms over my chest. The warm breeze ruffled my hair, I pushed the stray stands behind my ear as I fell into step with my best friend, Alyssa.

Alyssa only grinned in my direction before responding, her eyes twinkling in delight. "Because when we get older we'll wish that we did. And it'll be a lot of fun Bryce. Just give it a try." She pleaded, her black hair coming undone from her messy bun.

Still, not convinced I glared at her trying not to smile, but failing miserably. She rolled her eyes at me as she pursed her lips. "Oh lighten up! We're only seventeen once. We should make the most of it while we have the chance."

Alyssa has been my best friend since freshman year. She's absolutely crazy, but I love her so much. As you've guessed she's the outgoing one out of the two of us. She loves to shop while I love to watch football. She loves to be social, I'd like to curl up with a book in my room. Total opposites I would say. However, that's why we mesh so well together, we balance each other out.

I pondered over it, my eyebrows furrowed in thought."I guess it wouldn't hurt," I decided with a sigh. Alyssa let out a loud squeal, her high pitched voice made me wince. She threw her arms around me, squeezing the life out of me. "Thank you!" She bounced up and down, making her black hair sway from the movement.

Alyssa and I continue to walk home from school, conversing about the homework we have to do. It's only Thursday, but I feel like this week is taking to long to end. We only have a few more weeks before school is out. I'm honestly very happy about that. I was looking forward to the summer. Junior year has been killing me slowly. I needed a break.

I quickened my pace so I could hurry up to reach my house to get away from this heat. The sun is shining high up into the clear blue skies. The green grass is trailed along the sidewalk, making my suburban neighborhood look like a hot summery fairytale. I tied my ashy blonde hair into a ponytail since I was starting to sweat. I felt a smile come onto my face as the familiar house comes into view. Since my mother and I relationship is no longer a bitter one. I actually look forward to seeing my mother's beautiful face, smiling happily as she hum throughout the house. My mother and I has had a strained and fragile relationship after my father passed away from cancer years back. All we would do is argue whenever we came in contact with each other. My mother became someone I didn't even recognize. She was bitter, cold and always seemed to pick a fight with me. She was never there when I needed her, as time went on I began to resent her and loathe the woman she turned into. As a result, I became defiant and did want I wanted for the most part (staying out late and never bothering to follow her rules). 

It wasn't until she came home declaring she was married her boyfriend Clayton a couple months ago, I started to see a change within her. It took a quite a while for me to warm up to her and to trust her boyfriend because I knew little to nothing about the guy. Plus, I was hurt that my mother just up and married someone without my knowledge. I inwardly berate myself for how difficult I was on every corner. But I'm glad I saw the light before I did anymore damage.

I give Alyssa a brief hug before strolling into my driveway. I made my way into my house in no time. "I'm home!" I sang as I close the front door behind me. My pleasant mood spiking as I survey the interior of my home. Ever since my mother came home a married woman, we've been upgrading our appliances, our decor and even the cars we drive. I'm not sure where this sudden flow of cash is coming from but I'm not complaining. For my entire life, I've never had the luxury of what other kids my age had.