Thirty-Seven

At lunch time, Thursday, I seemed to be the last of the gang to arrive and they were talking about the abundance of water balloons in one of the classrooms.

So like always, after a good prank, I was more than upsy-daisy.

"Hello everybody." I said, high-fiving Jhanelle who had been my accomplice and then Niall who helped a bit as well. Most of them greeted me except for one. . .

I smiled walking towards Taylor, "Hello, Taylor." I said in a teasing voice.

"You two aren't together, are you?" Kendall asked with meeting eyebrows.

"No." Taylor replied, I wonder if she realised she just used double negatives. . .

I quickly kissed Taylor on the cheek then replied to Kendall, "No, definitely not." And then I got away from there before someone punches me.

I almost skipped to my seat beside Berlyn and then placed my food on the table. Mostly, it's just Mac and cheese and, well, an apple.

I heard Taylor groan, making my smile grow wider. I licked my lips and bit the lower one to hold myself from laughing too much.

"Oh yes, we have epic prom nights." Niall said as though that really sounds epic to me, or to some of the gang.

I kept eating quietly as he went on with the description of the promenade last year.

"The theme was literally ice so most girls were wearing blue or white." He continued, "The slow dance and the rest was sort of ice skating."

"Brilliant." I said tediously. Truth is, I'm not wildly keen on occasions that forces you to wear formal clothes and dance around for a night.

"What, do you not like prom or something?" Berlyn asked, sounding quite amused.

I swallowed, "If it doesn't follow the traditional balls, no." I replied.

"Harold, proms follow those traditional balls." Taylor corrected and there was this slight discomfort about her calling me Harold.

"Don't call me, Harold, we're not together, remember?" I asked with a wink.

She rolled her eyes, "Do you want us to be really together?" She asked with all seriousness I couldn't tell if she was playing my bluff or she's actually asking me for it.

The table had silenced down because of the tension between us.

"If I'm not actually going home at the end of the sem, yes." I answered and then continued eating like it wasn't such a big deal. It was, I just wanted to let the rest of the table eat in peace.

"But I doubt it if we're going to have a prom this school year." Taylor said after a while, changing the subject.

"Why not?" Kendall asked, her eyebrows meeting.

"We're under new management, remember?" Jhanelle interrupted, referring to our new principal who rarely let us have fun occasions. Then, we continued eating.

Anyways, have I mentioned that I've not only been getting a bit of bad blood from Nathan Hallows but also the entire swimming team? Well, the next sort or relates to that.

"Ow! Bloody--" I yelled, feeling something very cold pour down my hair. Since it don't have my thick curls like I used to, I felt it straight to my head.

I heard the chuckles behind me and I know Niall was staring straight at me, ready to hold me back. Slowly, I'm losing my temper. My hands are already balled and my vision is starting to darken.

"Oops, sorry." I turned around seeing someone from the swim team, I think, Carlo something. . . I had the sudden urge to throw that cup back at him but it was too light to even settle an argument.