Everybody wants to be a cat

Harry was digging through his toy chest trying to find his black cat costume. Daddy was grading boring papers in his office, so Harry thought that he couldn't hear him. Harry had decided he wanted to play dress up, and he was going to put on a show for Cesar and Kayla. He was going to sing his favourite song from the movie The Aristicats. Daddy had just watched it with him yesterday and it was now one Harry's favourites. Aha! He found it. He pulled out his cat ears, and he also needed something for the nose. Harry looked around wondering what he could use. He spotted a pack of markers on the floor from when he was colouring earlier. He walked over searching through the box snatching up the black one. He added it to his pile and scooped it all up into his arms before making his way back to the couch. He left his costume on the couch grabbing the marker and sprinting to the washroom. He leaned over the counter and uncapped the marker, colouring half of his nose in messy black marker. Next he drew three shaky lines on both of his cheeks for whiskers. He admired his work for a minute before capping the marker and going to put on the rest of his costume. Once dressed he took his spot on 'stage' (the coffee table) holding up his Daddy's hairbrush that he stole from the bathroom as his microphone. He readjusted his cat ears and took a deep breath.

"E'erybody wan's to be a cat, because a cat's the only cat who know where it's at." Harry sang dragging out the knows, and swiveling his hips, giggling when his tail tickled his leg.

"E'erybody's pickin' up d'at feline beat, 'cause e'erythin' else is obsteet. Now a squa'e wif a horn, makes you wish you weren' born, ever'time he plays;" Dragging out the he plays, Harry jumped off the table dancing along the imaginary music. He pretended the hairbrush was a trumpet and played it making the required sound effects.

"Wow Harry you rock!" Cesar yelled waving his arms around.

"You're even better than that witch on the radio that Daddy always listens to!" Kayla said dancing along with Harry.

Harry waved his arms up and down as he wiggled his bum around trying to keep his giggles in as he sang all the words he remembered.

"E'erybody wan's to be a cat!" Harry sang loudly, he forgot the rest of the song so he just kept singing that line, jumping and dancing around the living room, singing into his 'microphone'.

"E'erybody wan's to be a-"

"Harry?" Harry whipped his head around his eyes wide as saucers. Daddy stood in the doorway of his office his lips twitching, eyes dancing with mirth.

Harry choked on his voice not knowing what to say. He felt his whole face hat up in embarrassment, dropping the brush he bolted for his nursery and slammed the door shut leaning all his weight against it.

He heard Daddy walk across the room knocking softly on his door. "Please let me in Harry, there's no need to be embarrassed I thought it was....endearing," Daddy said, although Harry could hear his voice quiver slightly like he was trying not to laugh.

"Not! Ne'er see Daddy 'gain!" Harry called through the door, he had never been so embarrassed in his entire life. He knew he must be bright red.

"Harry, it's me I won't make fun of you,"

"Nu uh!"

Daddy was quiet for a while, then,

"What if Daddy sang it to, then will you come out?"

"Daddy sings?"

"Yes,"

"Wif the ears and tail?"

"I'll wear the ears but I draw the line at the tail." Daddy said his voice taking on a stern tone. Harry laughed at the mental image of his Daddy in the black ears and tail. He slid the ears off and stuck them through the crack in the door.

"The things I do," he heard him grumble.

"Everybody wants to be a cat," Daddy said in a monotone.

"Dat's not singin' Daddy!"

"I was under the impression it was,"

"No," Harry scoffed opening the door. He put his hands on his hips a grin spreading across his face. Daddy looked very scary in his full teaching robes, his hair long and straight but the effect was ruined by the big furry cat ears on his head, pulling the hair back from his face.

"You gotsa sing it Daddy," Harry said putting on his serious face.

"I just did,"

"no"

"yes"

"no"

"Yes...I...did!" Daddy said scooping him up growling at him.

Harry laughed and growled back bumping his nose against Daddy's.

"Copy me, E'erybody wan's to be a cat," Harry sang, looking expectantly at him.

"Everybody wants to be a cat," Daddy said.

"Sing it," Harry growled.

"Everybody wants to be a cat," Daddy sang in his melodious voice, challenging Harry with his eyes.

"Cause a cats the only cat who knows wheres it's at," Harry dragged out the knows, grinning when Daddy did the same.

"Cause a cats the only cat who knows wheres it's at," Daddy copied, taking one of his hands and swaying to the song with him. Harry placed his other hand on Daddy's shoulder.

"e'eryones pickin up on that feline beat, cause e'erthin' else is absteet," Daddy and Harry sang together, although Daddy sang the right lyrics. Daddy danced around with Harry in his arms, both of them singing the song together smiling and laughing.

Everybody wants to be a cat,

because a cat's the only cat

who knows where it's at.

Everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat,

'cause everything else is obsolete.

Now a square with a horn,

can make you wish you weren't born,

ever'time he plays;

and with a square in the act,

he can set music back

to the caveman days....

Please comment, tell me what you thought!