Chapter 5/Closing time

After the last customer had drained their final sip of coffee, Marta had flipped the sign on the door to read 'desolc' and we started tidying up. While I did I kept playing the events back in my mind, wondering what I could have done differently. I also kept thinking about Alexander Strong. There was something about him which made if difficult to think of something else like a personality equivalent of trying to flick away used chewing gum. I just had to stand behind the bar and imagine he was there before me. I got strict on my self. Why would he do anything but flirt with the cappuccino girl?  

"What did you think of him?" said Marta.

"He was arrogant and super rich, but that doesn't mean he could be rude and obnoxious to people no matter how rich he might be," I said.

"No I meant the captain, the one arresting everyone," said Marta.

"Oh," I said picking up more cups, "he was very arresting. "

"I quite like that tall dark nice looking man with too much hair," Said Marta while cleaning the espresso machine with a cloth "he was cute. I hope the Homeland people didn't put him off. There was something deliciously mysterious about him.

"Tall dark and mysterious. Yes TDM was cute" I agreed. "In the Venn diagram of Tall, dark and mysterious he was the intersection set. Do you think he was a good kisser?"

"Not as good as you," said Marta playfully. She was referring to the time she had given me some kissing lessons a year or so ago. I had been moping around worrying about what would happen if some boy did kiss me. So Marta had decided to make sure I wouldn't spend my life a kissing virgin. I shouldn't have done it she had never let me forget it.

"Speaking of having that billionaire in the shop. I hardly recognized him. He looks so much bigger in person than he does on the internet. I have a picture of him here and he's no bigger than my thumb" said Marta, Looking at the phone.

She was right. He was six foot something.

"Perhaps I should have been a wild thing and gone with him for the adventure." I said to Marta while loading the dishwasher " Who am I kidding? I'm not a wild adventure spur of the moment type. It normally takes me four visits to the shop just to buy a pair of shoes and they only go on my feet. While I like the idea of being spontaneous I'm about as spontaneous as an infomercial and a dull infomercial at that."

"You certainly need to learn to let loose and give up more." said Marta hand washing a latte glass.

"There is so much I want to do. I'd like to visit London" I said cleaning a mark from a seat.

"It's a ruin surrounded by wilderness," said Vicky from the computer.

"Paris?" I said

"Ruin," shouted Vicky.

"Rome" I added.

"Stinky ruin," Vicky said. I'm not sure how she knew.

"I'll like to get out of here, but I doubt I ever will," I said. My long term future as Mom/Sister carer didn't fill me with glee. I'd do it because I loved them, but my heart would always be on the horizon and following every train leaving town. I knew inside I would never summon the courage to leave them or even go into the wasteland to one day go some were for a holiday. It wasn't me and if I could surgically remove that from my brain, I'd let Marta trepan me with a blue coffee scoop.

I consoled myself with the fact I would not be seeing him again.

"That General Samael Freaked me," I said.

Vicky started counting doughnuts.

"...Four. I heard he was some big heavy weight witch finder general sent to sort our possessed problem. Five. " said Vicky while she counted. "apparently he's uninfected so he knows how the possessed think. Six. I heard in his last sector he had a 100% cleanup rate. Oh fish sticks I've lost count."