Chapter 23/Mom's laboratory (changed)

A/N - We had a brain wave and thought of a change of plot, but this means for the first time ever we need to revise the text. SORRY. The new stuff is in bold. 

Looking around I found mom's purse near the door in the place where she always left it. Next to it was an envelope. Mum would sometimes put things she had to remember next to her purse so she would be reminded again. The envelope was lilac color, I picked it up and saw my name on the front. Weird. Guessing it was a card she had got me, I opened it.

"Kaitlyn This morning was our last kiss goodbye. I will never forget it. You have been so very strong, but I know you can be stronger. You have been so determined but you know you have to be unshakeable. You know you have my love, but now you need to know my love for you will never never falter. I only want you to promise me one thing. I want you to do whatever you need to survive. Time is short. All I know is I am sure we will meet again, one day. Never let that thought leave your mind, as it will not leave mine, do this and you know everything will be alright.

Mom."

Once, before the virus, Mom had written notes for me . If anything told me she had a cure, I was reading it. I had changed into the sophisticated dress Alexander had got me and flung on the high heels and made myself to look as much like the fake Kaitlyn Edan as possible. This way I could travel invisibly. Looking at Mom's note I tried to look as un-weepy as possible before the taxi arrived. I told the taxi driver to go to Mom's lab. If she was anywhere with Homeland defense it would be there. I could think having found a cure Homeland defense would take her there instantly and then get take her somewhere to be mass produced. If Eve had been cured she would have taken her but why not fetch me? I could think of one hundred excuses but nothing felt true and each one made things feel weirder.

****

I arrived at Mom's lab and got out of the taxi. I even paid with my RFID implant. I thought I could give Alexander the money back for a taxi fare. Alexander - if every there was a human equivalent of an earworm and used chewing gum he was it. Why did I feel like I wanted to run to him and be the first to share the knowledge that my mom had found a cure? I wasn't even sure he genuinely liked me. I had to dug a deep moat around myself and I knew he should stay out. It wasn't him it was a matter of survival. I focused on the problem at hand, Mom's lab.

I thought I would find the lab in full swing. If they had found a cure they would be working round-the-clock to confirm it and ship the knowledge of how to make this stuff off to some government factory that would make industrial quantities of it. You can imagine how strange it was as the taxi approached that the building looks like the lights all turned off. I had been to the laboratory a couple of times on those take your daughter to work days, this was weird.

The laboratory was strangely quiet. As I approached that wasn't even a security guard there to stop me coming in. I had expected trucks and buses instead there is nothing. Walking into the entrance there was something. Rubbish paper, test tubes, the main door had been opened with a crowbar. As I walked into the laboratories some of the lights still worked but many have been damaged. I looked around the place. It has been trashed just like mom's house. As I moved from laboratory to laboratory the place of been ransacked. As far as I could tell homeland defense had been through here like a May tornado. It was clear stuff had not been removed, this is not relocation this was a deliberate wrecking of the laboratory. Why would anybody wreck a laboratory which could have found a cure for the virus?

I heard a noise foot steps.

"Hello" I said expecting to see someone "I'm Kaitlyn Lewis. I'm looking for my Mom Kerry Lewis."

There was no response. I walked into a darker part of the laboratory. Using Alexander's phone's torchlight I started to look for my mother's laboratory. This didn't feel right. Part of me wanted to rush out but the rest of me knew that out side the lab I had nothing. No mom and No sister.